Brandy Vanh/HIGHLANDER
Brandy Vanh/HIGHLANDER

Nearly 60 bodies laid strewn on the floor of the HUB Plaza as part of a “die-in” event, which commemorated the lives lost from police brutality throughout the nation. Organized by African Student Programs (ASP), the Dec. 5 event recognized notable African Americans such as Mike Brown and Eric Garner, both of whom were killed due to police violence.

Against the backdrop of the university’s market day event, protesters gathered around the Bell Tower at 11:30 a.m. and proceeded to move to the HUB Plaza. One by one, student participants fell to the floor “dead” as names of police brutality victims were read out loud. After four and a half minutes of silence, protesters encouraged the “dead” to rise up once again by chanting, “Hands up, don’t shoot; hands up, don’t shoot.”

“It signifies a sign of surrender, more specifically in the shooting of Mike Brown, his last words were: ‘I don’t have a gun, stop shooting,’” explained event organizer Breana Ross. “Rising up symbolizes rising up against police brutality, the violent epidemic plaguing communities of color and the systems of oppression and institutional racism.”

Taking after other recent solidarity demonstrations, students were also asked to wear black to show greater unity within the crowd. Representatives from organizations ranging from A Million Hoodies for Justice to ASUCR came out to march, chanting “no justice, no peace, no racist police.”

One of the earliest speakers, fourth-year student Shavonda Gates emphasized the importance of political activism and the value of self-identity. “The struggle is much bigger than police brutality, it’s about a loss of self. Unless we realize who we are as a black people in that it is the blood of kings and queens that runs through our veins … we will put ourselves to an end,” Gates said. “We cannot expect (anybody) to value us before we start valuing ourselves. Don’t let another black boy die before you get involved and find yourself within this community.”

Eddie Franco, a second-year student who identifies as white, talked about his experiences growing up in a predominantly white education system, which he felt perpetuated a misguided belief that racism was no longer an issue in the United States.

“The fact that when I saw the news (about Brown) and I didn’t think anything of it, showed what the issue is in our country. The fact that I can brush over it because (a human death) is something that happens every day … it disturbs me that I thought it wasn’t a big deal,” Franco said.

The “die-in” event also drew eyes from as high as the third floor of the HUB, where second-year psychology student Yolanda Medina stood and watched. “I did not know this was happening, actually. I was at the HUB and then I just heard some noise and I was like ‘what’s that?’ and I looked at the window and I noticed a lot of people protesting so I just came out to look,” Medina said. “I think it’s good that students of UCR care about this issue (of) police brutality because … it’s an epidemic and it needs to be stopped.”

Right below Medina, third-year business student Clement Authier also watched the protest, but chose not to participate due to his own lack of information.

“It’s better to let justice do its work and make a judgment once we’re told more information … and maybe there was something which wasn’t said yet,” Authier said about the recent court decisions to not indict the different police officers charged with the killings of Brown and Garner.

The day before the “die-in” protest, ASP also held a forum called “Hands Up, Don’t Shoot!” to encourage discussion about social injustices against people of color. The protest was inspired by the forum discussion.

Director of Student Life Ellen Whitehead was appreciative of the open discussion during the “die-in” which allowed for a “meaningful approach” that gave everyone a chance to participate. “The students are really passionate about the issue and so this is a forum for them to share their opinions and stories as a way to process it and talk about next steps,” she said. “It’s a very emotional topic and … I think allowing them to have that voice is a really good opportunity for discussion.”

Contributions made by Christal Mims

Breana Ross is an advertising representative at the Highlander.

Correction: The “die-in” event was organized by members of African Student Programs (ASP), not ASP itself.