To the lovers of burgers and mother nature: a restaurant serving delicious and eco-friendly options has come to Riverside. Burger Boss, which opened in the spring of last year, has a sophisticated, modern feel. Its silver and green interior gives off vibes of both cleanliness and nature-consciousness. Even on a Thursday afternoon, the small burger joint was packed with eager customers. The motto of Burger Boss is BYOB—Build Your Own Burger.

The first step is to choose the meat, or as they call it, “Your Protein.” Not only do customers have the option of all-natural 100 percent Angus chuck beef grilled to a perfect medium-rare, but they can also choose from chicken breast, turkey breast filet or even a vegetarian alternative of black beans. The second step is to choose between a white Kaiser or wheat grain bun, both of which are fresh and soft—very unlike the stale and papery buns often served in fast-food restaurants. The third step is to choose the cheese, which ranges from the typical yellow American cheese to a savory smoked gouda. The fourth step is to choose from a diverse concoction of sauces that can be combined. Some examples include garlic herb mayonnaise, chipotle barbecue, honey Dijon and Cajun buffalo. At no charge, Burger Boss also offers everything from lettuce and tomatoes to green olives and grilled mushrooms. The fifth step ensures for a very juicy burger soaked in a wide variety of sauces and broths from grilled onions, jalapenos or mushrooms. The olives, to my pleasant surprise, were actually fresh and not canned.

The appearance and taste of the salty green olives were refreshingly tasty, and unlike the canned, bland and watery black olives that are typically served on pizzas. The beef was high quality, fresh and well seasoned. Because of its medium-rare texture, the beef was soft and seemed to melt in my mouth. The chicken filet was also delicious, well seasoned, tender and clearly cooked well. To go with the delicious sandwiches were America’s favorite fountain drinks and some of the best shakes I’ve ever had—Burger Boss features shakes with flavors such as caramel and strawberry. The the warmth of the caramel shake’s heavenly burnt butterscotch taste combined with the shake’s cool temperature made for a delicious beverage.

Burger Boss even offers a kids menu featuring mini burgers, hot dogs and grilled-cheese sandwiches. A flat screen on one wall broadcasted actual television shows instead of self-promoting advertisements. Alternative rock music played in the background while friendly and attentive staff and chefs interacted with customers, creating a soothing, fun and trendy atmosphere.

The most enticing aspect of Burger Boss was the fresh, organic and locally grown ingredients. Because Burger Boss holds itself to such a high standard of quality, it is pricier than other burger joints, such as In-N-Out Burger. For a 3 oz beef burger at Burger Boss with no cheese, customers can expect to spend a little under $4. A chicken filet burger with cheese and premium toppings such as bacon, avocado, or grilled pineapple can cost over $7. The shakes, which I immediately became a huge fan of, are $3.49 each. Although not extremely expensive, college students probably prefer to save money by visiting one of the many the chain fast-food restaurants scattered around campus. But for those who want to treat themselves to something special and healthy, Burger Boss is a great restaurant to try.