Cameron Yong/HIGHLANDER
Cameron Yong/HIGHLANDER

September 20, 2015

Highlanders 1 – Gaels 1

The UC Riverside men’s soccer team gave Saint Mary’s all they could handle Sunday, but in the end it proved not to be enough as the men ended up tying the Gaels, 1-1, in a match that was forced into double overtime.

The Highlanders jumped out to an early 1-0 advantage, when senior Michael Salazar placed the ball in the far upper corner of the net for his third goal of the season.

With 10 minutes gone by in the second half, the Gaels pulled equal with a cross from Max Miner to Kendall Will to tie the score and give Will his second score of the year.

In the Golden Goal period the Highlanders nearly took the match when a Michael Salazar header hit the crossbar, but failed, resulting in the Highlanders settling for their first tie of the season.

September 25, 2015

Highlanders 3 – Spartans 0

The UC Riverside men’s soccer team headed into Friday’s match against the San Jose State Spartans not only looking to gain momentum in their last match before conference play, but also looking to keep their undefeated streak at home alive. They successfully did both, defeating the Spartans, 3-0.

The Highlanders got off to a hot start in front of a record crowd of 1,018 attendees, with Michael Salazar scoring his fourth goal of the season on a cross from Kouri Nagi. Salazar was then left one on one with the keeper and beat him with shot to the far post.

About 12 minutes later, the Highlanders added another score, this time by the team’s leading scorer Norberto Ochoa, who scored off a pass from teammate Eric Gonzales.

The third goal was added in the 75th minute, when Salazar again scored. This time though after a rocket shot by Ochoa and a block by the keeper, Salazar was there for the put back and easy score, to safely put the game away.

The Highlanders open up conference play on October 7, when the UC Davis Aggies come to town to face the Highlanders at home.