sports.womensbball

The UC Riverside women’s basketball team is making the best of their season and this past Thursday, Jan. 28, the Highlanders faced Cal Poly Pomona. Not only did the women’s basketball team earn their sixth consecutive home game, but also senior guard Brittany Crain topped the 2,000-point mark for her career. Crain joins fellow Highlanders Donna Hammond Mares and Kemie Nkele as the seventh player to set the record in Big West history.

Although the beginning of Thursday’s game had a slow pace things took a more exciting turn during the third quarter. Cal Poly outscored the Highlanders during the third, cutting a 14-point deficit to nine by the end of the third. However, the Highlanders began to recapture momentum toward the end of the third quarter. Yet within mere minutes, the Mustangs took charge with the help of twins Lynn and Dynn Leaupepe by making back-to-back layups, making the score 67-66. Despite this, Annelise Ito responded with a jumper and gave the home team a three-point lead heading into the fourth quarter. The score was 75-73, continuing the tied-up game between the Highlanders and Mustangs. Crain soon sparked a 6-0 run that helped them gain the lead. The Highlanders charged through the end of the fourth with a 10-point lead against the Mustangs, winning 93-83.

The conference-leading UC Riverside women’s basketball team will continue the action on Thursday, Feb. 4, at home against UC Davis at 7 p.m.