Hillary Clinton | Courtesy of Brookings Institution

In the primary elections that were held on Tuesday, June 7, Californians voted to determine the candidates for the presidential election, state representatives and the new state senator. According to the SF Gate, a total 8.9 million votes were cast in the primaries, however, an estimated 1.9 million votes have yet to be counted. The Associated Press reported that 338 of the delegates will go to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, with the remaining 207 going to Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders.

As of Saturday, June 18, results show that presumptive candidate Clinton won a majority of the votes in the Democratic primaries, taking four of the six states up for grabs, including California. As reported by the New York Times, Clinton won a majority of her votes in Southern California, with Sanders garnering a large number of votes from the northern counties.

As the only official candidate for the Republican party, real estate tycoon Donald Trump won the Republican primaries on June 7 and is the presumptive nominee going into the Republican National Convention.

Despite already announcing that Clinton has won the Democratic primaries, over two million ballots have yet to be counted, allowing for Sanders to potentially win more counties than previously anticipated. Among the ballots left be counted are provisional ballots, with a majority of them coming from the Los Angeles, San Diego and Riverside counties. This has led to debate among Sanders supporters who believe that the voting system is rigged. Some Sanders supporters also believe that the Associated Press is at fault for lower voter turnout rates after their premature announcement of Clinton as the presumptive nominee before the primaries, which they believe may have dissuaded people from voting.

California Attorney General Kamala Harris | Courtesy of Pitzer College

In the race to the U.S. Senate, State Attorney General Kamala Harris and Orange County Representative Loretta Sanchez won a majority of the votes, with Harris leading Sanchez by more than 800,000 votes. Harris is a party favorite and has won the support of the California Democratic Party at the convention held last February, but Sanchez has the support of more conservative voters, as well as the Latino demographic. Voters will determine which woman will take over as senator for retiring current senator Barbara Boxer on November 8.

For the first time in California’s history, a Republican will not be on the ballot for state senator, which is largely attributed to the decline in Republican voter registration in the state of California over the last few years.

In Riverside County, Raul Ruiz and Jeff Stone won a majority of the votes respectively for the 36th district, with Mark Takano winning 62 percent of the vote in the 41st district, Ken Calvert and Tim Sheridan in the 42nd district and Duncan D. Hunter competing with Patrick Malloy for the 50th district.