UCR men’s tennis team hit the road to Nevada for a double matchup against UNLV and New Mexico State. The Highlanders were in the hunt for their first victory of the 2012 season after falling short in the previous two attempts. Getting the first victory of the season would not be an easy task for the Highlanders as they were to compete against nationally-ranked opposition.

Feb. 3, 2012
Rebels 6 – Highlanders 1

The action began with doubles matches. UCR’s Austin Andres and Felix Macherez again demonstrated their great form in doubles as they defeated UNLV’s Bernard Schoeman and Brian Kenyon in a contested match by 8-6 in the first doubles match. The Highlanders were not as effective for the second and third matches; UNLV played better tennis in both of these games and ended up claiming the doubles point. UCR’s Kevin Griffin and Jimmy Roberts lost by 8-6 to Rene Ruegamer and Johannes Markel, while Highlanders Luis Gastao and Simon Peters fell by 8-5 to Willie Sublette and Charlie Alvarado.

In singles action, UCR could not take but one point out of the six in play. The Rebels were clearly superior to the Highlanders in most of the matches. The only Highlander to put on a real contest was Austin Andres, who got the lone point for UCR. Andres defeated UNLV’s Johannes Markel in a disputed match that had to be settled by a second set tie break which was won by Andres. The final result was 6-4, 5-7, (10-4). Elsewhere, UCR’s Felix Macherez lost to Tamas Batyi by 6-4, 6-4; Jimmy Roberts was swept by UNLV’s Alex Bull with a score sheet of 6-0, 6-0; UCR’s Simon Peters and Luis Gastao were dominated by Brian Kenyon and Bernard Schoeman by 6-1, 6-1 and 6-3, 6-4 respectively.

Feb. 4, 2012
Aggies 6 – Highlanders 1

The Highlanders started off the day in negative fashion when in the first doubles match they lost. UCR’s Austin Andres and Felix Macherez were completely dominated in all senses by NMSU’s Matej Stakne and Luis Ramirez. The Highlander pair started off the game strongly, but as the Aggies settled on the court, it was them who controlled the match from end to end. The final result was 8-4. UCR came back into the fight for the doubles point when Highlanders Kevin Griffin and Jimmy Roberts defeated NMSU’s Marc Westage and Felipe Frattini by 9-7 in a contested match. However, the victory in the second match wasn’t enough to take the doubles point as NMSU won the third and decisive match by 8-4 and thus claimed the doubles point.

UCR’s performance did not improve for singles matches. The Highlanders were, once again, able to only claim one out of the five points in play. UCR’s Felix Macherez was the only Highlander capable of beating his rival; Macherez proved resilient as he came from behind after losing the first set to play outstanding tennis in the next two sets. The game was hard and tightly fought from end to end but Macherez, after a great match, defeated NMSU’s Matej Stakne by 2-6, 7-6 (10-8). UCR’s Team Captain Austin Andres could not boost his squad with a win; he lost by 6-2, 6-3 to NMSU’s Germain Degardin.

Elsewhere, Highlanders Simon Peters and Luis Gastao lost their respective games by 6-2, 6-2 and 6-2, 6-3. UCR’s Kelly Dickson put on a contest but could not beat NMSU’s Eduardo Cabrita in a match that saw Dickson win the first set comfortably and dramatically, dropping the next two sets to lose the match.

Next for the Highlanders is a visit from Vanguard to the SRC courts on Feb. 10 at 1:00 p.m.