Cameron Yong/HIGHLANDER

April 4, 2014

Highlanders 4 – Matadors 2

Wrapped up in blankets and dealing with the frigid Riverside night, Highlander fans continued to cheer for the UC Riverside baseball team (13-12, 2-2) as they faced Cal State Northridge (12-17, 1-3). Northridge opened up the first inning with two runs, 2-0, but UC Riverside recovered from a slow start to earn the victory, 4-2.

With two runners on base, Matador Nick Blaser singled to right to score Ranny Lowe. The Highlanders’ starter Jacob Smigelski walked Nicolas Osuna, which loaded the bases for Northridge. Dylan Alexander took advantage and singled to shortstop, which extended the lead to 2-0.

With their offense stalling in the opening innings, Riverside cut the lead in half in the bottom of the third inning. Highlander Devyn Bolasky singled through the left side to score Joe Chavez, cutting the deficit in half, 2-1. The fourth and fifth innings remained with zeroes posted as Smigelski took just 13 pitches to get through both frames. Chavez scored once again at the bottom of the fifth as Francisco Tellez singled to second base, 2-2.

The bottom of the eighth was by far the most exhilarating as the Highlanders took the lead. Drake Zarate hit a sacrifice bunt which put Riverside on top, 3-2, as David Andriese scored. Knowing that there was one inning left, Riverside made sure to secure the lead as Matthew Ellis singled down the third baseline allowing Nick Vilter to make the final score of the game, 4-2. The Matadors fell short in the ninth inning as UCR’s Dylan Stuart pitched a scoreless inning.

April 5, 2014

Highlanders 6 – Matadors 2

Determined to win their series, Riverside (14-12, 3-2) came out victorious once again against Northridge (12-18, 1-4), 6-2.

Highlander Devyn Bolasky tallied UCR’s first run of the night in the bottom of the third inning, 1-0. Adding their second run of the night, the Highlanders increased the lead in the fourth inning, 2-0.

Taking advantage of a passed ball, Cal State Northridge put up a run in the fifth inning, as Michael Livingston scored the first Matador run of the night, 2-1. At the bottom of the sixth, the Highlanders added a pair of points to the scoreboard. Northridge center fielder Ranny Lowe dropped what appeared to be a caught ball allowing the Highlanders to score once again, 4-1.

Looking to catch up in the eighth inning, the Matadors continued to give it their all as Brett Blasser cut the Highlanders’ lead to three, 5-2. Riverside countered with Cody Hough’s stolen base and Matthew Ellis’ single, allowing Hough to score the last run of the night, 6-2.

UCR pitcher Kevin Sprague closed the ninth inning with yet another scoreless inning. Zach Varela was good on the mound, going eight innings and only allowing seven hits and one earned run.

April 6, 2014

Matadors 7 – Highlanders 1

Cal State Northridge (13-18, 2-4) tallied their first win of the weekend with a 7-1 thumping of the Highlanders (14-13, 3-3) on Sunday afternoon. Five Matadors recorded multiple hits while the team doubled UCR’s production in the category, 14-6. Northridge pitcher John Salas allowed only one earned run while striking out four batters on the day. The Highlanders next take on San Diego State on Tuesday, April 8.