Aaron Lai/HIGHLANDER
Aaron Lai/HIGHLANDER

Baseball

The Highlanders won a three-game series versus Cal State Fullerton over the weekend, ending the series with a 8-7 win in 11 innings on Sunday. With runners on the corners in the second inning of Friday’s game, Drake Zarate hit a sac bunt to send David Andriese home. The next inning, Nick Vilter scored a two-run homer to extend the lead to three. Fullerton scored in the third and fifth innings while Dylan Stuart took over the mound in the sixth to save the game, only allowing one single and a walk during his four-inning outing en route to a 3-2 victory.

Softball

The UCR softball team finished the season with a three-game series against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, ending its 2014 campaign with a 0-3 loss in the final game after splitting a doubleheader the day before. Game two brought the lone win for UC Riverside when they scored twice in the second inning with two outs on the board, 2-0. Cal Poly cut the lead in half, 2-1, during the sixth inning. However, the Highlanders held on for their final victory of the season. Senior Dionne Anderson played her last game in blue and gold, ranking top 10 all-time in stolen bases and on-base percentage. The Highlanders posted a 23-31 record, 4-17 in conference play.

Track and field

UCR’s Danielle Littleton broke the university record in the heptathlon and placed second overall in the event at the Big West Conference Track and Field Championship. Littleton won the 100-meter hurdles and placed second in the high jump while falling .82 seconds short of first place in the 200 in Friday’s events. Placing second in the long jump, Littleton was able to breathe easier, pushing her back into second overall. This week, the rest of the events start, including the men’s long jump where Big West Field Athlete of the Week, Ted Hooper, will compete after breaking a personal best by clearing 7.88m to win his event.

Men’s golf

With the cancellation of the third (and final) round of the Big West Conference Championship, the Highlanders stood tall knowing that they’d earned a third-place spot for the NCAA Division I men’s regional. David Gazzolo hit a personal record of 143 (70-73) to tie for seventh, and only seven strokes away from first-place Matt Hansen from UC Davis. It was good enough, however, to earn him a second consecutive All-Conference second team award. Fellow UC Riverside golfers Sam Gillis and Pachara Sakulyong also made the top 20. Gillis hit a 75-71 (146) for 12th and Sakulyong finished with 79-70 (149) for 19th. Leven Simon-Seay and Brandon Tsujimoto tied with a matching 151 for the 24th spot.