Aaron Lai/HIGHLANDER
Aaron Lai/HIGHLANDER

March 6, 2015
Dons 4 – Highlanders 0

Anthony Landazuri pitched for UC Riverside but was no match for University of San Francisco pitcher Anthony Shew who threw for eight innings and only allowed UCR four hits in a 4-0 Don victory.

The Dons scored early in the first inning and once again in the bottom of the fifth. Connor Hofmann hit a double to right field and reached third on an error by second baseman Joe Chavez. With the help of a sac fly by Derek Atkinson, the Dons were up by two, 2-0.

The Highlanders were unable to put a player in scoring position due to Shew retiring 12 straight from the second inning through the sixth.

UCR had its first player in scoring position in the eighth inning with two players on with only one out. But Shew wouldn’t allow the Highlanders to capitalize and struck out the next two batters.

The Dons created their four-run cushion that same inning by loading the bases with a double from Brendan Hendriks. Relief pitcher Jared Morton walked the next batter and allowed Ross Puskarich to single. The next batter singled and two players crossed home.

The final inning for UCR would be eventful as they put runners on the corners. Vince Fernandez doubled to center and moved to third on a ground out. Along with a walk for Dante Chupek, UC Riverside saw the next two batters strike out and fly hit to center.

March 7, 2015
Highlanders 6 – Dons 3

It took some 15 innings, but the Highlanders came through with the 6-3 victory over the University of San Francisco.

Following UCR’s pair of runs at the top of the fourth and sixth, the Dons countered with two runs in the sixth and eighth innings to tie the game, 2-2.

Joie Dunyon came in as a relief pitcher to close out the ninth and 10th innings. Once the eleventh came around, the Highlanders took a 3-2 lead behind Alex Rubanowitz’s RBI.

The Dons would respond with a single to start the 11th frame from Manny Ramirez. USF would replace Ramirez with a pinch-runner who moved to second off a sac bunt and ended up stealing third. A throwing error from Drake Zarate tied the game at 3-3.

The 15th inning came around and the Highlanders struck quickly. Zarate drew a walk, and Joe Chavez hit a sac bunt to move Zarate, but ended up reaching second himself due to another throwing error, this time by San Francisco.

With runners in scoring position, Vince Fernandez hit a single to send them both home. He would also reach home with a ground-out by Austin Colvin.

Ryan Lillie came in the 15th to close out the game and picked up his third registered save of the season.