Archive/HIGHLANDER

UCR women’s tennis hosted Long Beach state on Friday in a game that the Highlanders dropped. Hours later, UCR travelled to Las Vegas Nevada for a weekend double match-up against Utah State and UNLV. The Highlanders were defeated by both the Aggies and the Rebels.

Feb. 17, 2012
49ers 6 – Highlanders 1

The Student Recreation Center’s tennis courts saw the action begin with doubles matches. Long Beach proved to be too much for the Highlanders in all departments. UCR wasn’t even close to scoring a point in doubles action. Two of the three matches were won by LBS by a difference of seven points. UCR’s Taylor Raney and Jamie Raney were defeated at court No. 1 by LBS’s Rachel Manasse and Laura Bernard in a game that the Highlanders started in flying fashion. The Highlanders were hitting winners all over the court, but that dropped in the latter games of the match. The final result was 8-5 for LBS.

In singles action, LBS dominated from end to end, giving the Highlanders no chance to get a real shot at the match. LBS won five out of the six points in play; the Highlanders were swept in the five matches they lost, not even putting on a real contest. The only Highlander to show resilience was Jaime Raney; she defeated a nationally-ranked opponent, Rachel Manasse (#111), in a game where every point was fought fiercely. Raney got the lone point for UCR after a three-set match where she had to come from behind with a final result of 1-6, 6-4, 10-6.

Feb. 18, 2012
Aggies 6 – Highlanders 1

UCR continued its weekend fixtures against the Aggies in a neutral match that took place in Las Vegas. The Highlanders started the afternoon dropping the doubles point after they lost all of the matches. UCR’s Taylor Raney and Jamie Raney were the doubles pair that fought for a winner until the end, but ultimately were unable to get it. They lost to Utah State’s Jaclyn West and Mckenzie Davis by 8-7.

In singles action, UCR dropped five of the six points in play. The Aggies controlled most of the matches, playing their style and never looking threatened. UCR was able to score a well-deserved point after Courtney Pattugalan defeated Utah State’s Brianna Rowland in a close match where Pattugalan had to come from behind. The final result was 4-6, 6-2 (10-3).

Elsewhere, UCR’s Jamie Raney retired from her match against Utah State’s Jaclyn West after fitness concerns, while UCR’s Taylor Raney was defeated in a three-set match by Kristina Voytsekhovich; 7-6, 1-6 (10-7) was the final result.

Feb. 19, 2012
Rebels 7 – Highlanders 0

UCR faced nationally-ranked UNLV (#37) in its third match of the weekend. The Highlanders were swept in all departments by the Rebels; UNLV’s quality and fine performance was too much for UCR. In doubles action, the Highlanders dropped all three games (8-1, 8-2, 8-3) with final scores making evident the abysmal difference between the teams. UCR never posed any threat to the Rebels as they comfortably obtained the first point of the evening.

In singles action, The Rebels again dominated the Highlanders in all aspects of the game. UNLV played astonishing and consistent tennis throughout the six matches; UCR never had a real chance to score a point. UCR’s Taylor Raney was swept by UNLV’s nationally-ranked Lucia Batta (#50) in a game where Raney fought until the end, but Batta’s quality was just too much. The final result was 6-1, 6-2. Next for the Highlanders is a home game against Loyola Marymount at the SRC Tennis Courts.