Bri Chew/HIGHLANDER
Bri Chew/HIGHLANDER

April 18, 2015
Matadors 1 – Highlanders 0
Matadors 10 – Highlanders 6

UC Riverside was unable to take a game off of the Cal State Northridge Matadors in a two-game doubleheader on Saturday afternoon. The Matadors remained undefeated in conference play while the Highlanders fell to 32-14 overall and 4-7 in the Big West.

With neither team scratching in the first four innings, Matador Tara Kliebenstein smacked a homer to centerfield, for the game’s only hit and score, 1-0.

UCR was unable to get their offense going in the contest, falling to Cal State Northridge in seven innings.

Pitcher Chelsea Ponce gave up five hits to the Matadors, the lowest number of hits by the team since March 28.

The bats of both squads were finding their marks in game two of the doubleheader, but it was Cal State Northridge that again got the better of the Highlanders, winning 10-6, including six runs in the opening inning.

The Highlanders were the first team to strike, scoring two runs at the top of the first inning. Natalie Sanchez hit her fifth home run of the season, which also brought in Jenna Curtan.

Ponce again started on the mound for the Highlanders, but the pitcher gave up six runs off of three hits and two errors in the bottom of the inning. She was replaced by freshman Tayler Misfeldt for the rest of the game.

Down 6-2, the Highlanders generated four runs in the fourth inning to knot the contest 6-6, but the Matadors scored in the fourth and fifth innings to run away with the game, 10-6.

April 19, 2015
Matadors 7 – Highlanders 6

The Highlanders lost their third straight game to the Matadors on Sunday afternoon, falling 7-6 in nine innings. Rebecca Faulkner hit a pair of home runs for UCR, but it wasn’t enough as the Highlanders gave up a single run in the ninth to lose.

UC Riverside was outhit 14-8; pitcher Chelsea Ponce struck out four batters while giving up six hits.

UCR next hosts UC Davis on April 25 at the Amy S. Harrison field.