Gordon Guang/HIGHLANDER

Feb. 21, 2012
Highlanders 7 – Aztecs 1

The UC Riverside baseball team squared off against the visiting San Diego State Aztecs Tuesday at the Riverside Sports Complex. The Highlanders went on to crush the Aztecs for a 7-1 victory, improving their overall record to 2-2.

Mitch Patito got his first start as a Highlander and showed his value; he went five innings, allowed only one hit and recorded five strikeouts. The Highlanders’ offense recorded 10 hits and only six strikeouts which was a vast improvement from the past game. Devon Bolasky was the star for the Highlanders, going 4-4 for two runs, one RBI and one walk.

UCR Coach Doug Smith was asked about the pitching of Patito and how the relievers only allowed one run. “Everybody threw the ball great today,” he said. “That was [Patito’s] first start for his career here and he went five innings, [he] could have gone more.”

Bolasky was asked about his performance. “I have been seeing the ball real well,” he said. “Going up confident, looking for my pitch and I have been getting them.”

Feb. 24, 2012
Sun Devils 11 – Highlanders 3

The Highlander baseball squad faced off against the Arizona State Sun Devils for their first game of a three-game series this past Friday afternoon. The Sun Devils handed Riverside its third loss of the season (2-3) as UCR continued with their strikeout woes with 11 strikeouts, losing 11-3.

Dylan Stuart started for the Highlanders, going five innings as he allowed seven runs on 11 hits. The first inning for Riverside was dismaying as the Devils got on the board early after the first five batters hit for three singles, a double and a triple; putting UCR on its heels with an 4-0 deficit.

Devon Bolasky was below par in this game compared to his last superb performance against San Diego, only reaching the bases one time on 1-5 hitting with two strikeouts. The team as a whole was insufficient, only tiling up eight hits on 33 at bats. UCR dented the score finally in the eighth and ninth innings but it was not enough as they went on to lose 11-3.

Feb. 25, 2012
Highlanders 3 – Sun Devils 1

UCR baseball (3-3) continued their three game series against Arizona State (4-1) this past Saturday afternoon. The Highlanders handed the Sun Devils their first loss of the season, winning 3-1.

Eddie Orozco for Riverside went six strong innings, only allowing one run on four hits with three strikeouts. UCR made improvements, only striking out seven times in the game and recording eight hits.

The third inning the Highlanders dented the 0-0 tie by scoring twice. Nick Vilter was hit by a pitch and was later scored from a single to right field by Eddie Young. Clayton Prestidge singled to right, bringing home Devon Bolasky, who was on base from a sacrifice bunt, to give UCR its 2-0 lead.

Prestidge was key for Riverside as he recorded two hits on three at bats and one RBI.

Feb. 26, 2012
Sun Devils 11 – Highlanders 2

The Highlanders (3-4) finished their three-game series against Arizona State (5-1) this past Sunday afternoon. The Highlanders were unable to win their first three-game series over a ranked opponent losing, 11-2.

Riverside started Trevor Frank (0-2) who only went 3.2 innings, allowing eight hits, six runs and walked three batters. Riverside only had seven hits on two runs and left six men on the bases. Devon Bolasky continued his hot hitting streak, going 2-4 with one run and an RBI. Vince Gonzalez had the only other RBI for the Highlanders.

UCR scored in the first inning but was incapable of keeping up with the Sun Devils’ bats and had its defensive woes. By the bottom of the third inning it was a 1-5 game with the Sun Devils in the lead. UCR came as close to 6-2 at the top of the fifth inning but Arizona State took over the game scoring five more runs.

UCR returns home to play at the Riverside Sports Complex for a Feb. 28 match up against San Diego. The first pitch is set for 6:00 p.m.