Gordon Huang/HIGHLANDER

Feb. 28, 2012
Toreros 8 – Highlanders 5

The men’s baseball team hosted San Diego this past Tuesday in a dog fight. Coach Doug Smith had his team where he wanted them with a 5-3 lead going into the top of the eight; yet the last two innings turned for the worst as Riverside’s lead slipped out of their hands. The Highlanders allowed five late runs, two in the eight and three in ninth, in route to a 5-8 loss.

The Highlanders struggled at the plate again, striking out 11 times with only four RBIs and five hits. The two players for Riverside that stood out were Eddie Young and Cody Hough. Young went 2-3 with one run and Hough went 1-1 with two walks and two runs scored.

Coach Smith was asked about his frustration with the mishap late in the game and their strikeouts. “Oh, it is frustrating no doubt,” he said. “But we are a young team. We have a four-game road trip and hopefully with those games, we can take some positive out of it.”

March 2, 2012
Bearkats 9 – Highlanders 4

The men’s baseball team traveled to Huntsville, Texas for a three-game series against Sam Houston State. The first match up went to Texas as the Highlanders were incapable of withstanding Houston’s offense in route to a 4-9 loss.

Riverside struggled at the plate against their Bearkats’ pitchers. UCR was able to string up seven hits as they scored four runs on three RBIs.

The starter for the Highlanders, Dylan Stuart (1-2), went 6.1 innings, allowed eight hits and seven runs but got four strikeouts. Texas starter Cody Dickson went seven strong innings and only allowed two runs on five hits.

Riverside scored in the first two innings but ended up scoreless the next five innings while Sam Houston piled on the points. By the top of the eighth, the Highlanders were in a seven-run deficit at 2-9. UCR managed to score two in the eighth but none in the ninth as they failed to take the first game.

Highlanders 10 – Bearkats 1

Riverside (4-6) faced off against Sam Houston State (5-5) for the second game of their three-game series. This time around, the Highlanders countered back strong with their offensive power as they beat their opponent, 10-1.

The team came together as they only struck out five times in the game. This is the second consecutive game where the Highlanders have been under 10 strikeouts.

Eddie Young had the hot hands as he went 3-4 with one walk, one RBI and counted for three runs. The Highlanders as a group played magnificently as they tiled up 11 hits, eight RBIs and walked seven times.

Eddie Orozco (2-1) went eight sturdy innings as he allowed just one run on seven hits with five strikeouts. Gavin Mills came in the ninth inning to relieve Orozco and only allowed one hit as he closed the game for the Highlanders.

Bearkats 4 – Highlanders 3

Riverside finished its three-game series against Sam Houston State this past Sunday afternoon. UCR scored in only two innings in a 3-4 loss as the Highlanders were shut out scoreless through three innings.

Trevor Frank started the mound for the Highlanders, going 7.1 innings. Frank allowed seven hits, four runs, walked three batters and got eight strikeouts.

The Highlanders reverted back to their woes as they struck out 11 times, but walked six times and got nine hits. In the top of the fourth inning, Vince Gonzalez walked and was advanced on a wild pitch. Later, a single by Cody Hough sent him to third. Gonzalez later scored on a single by Jake Gallaway.

In the top of the fifth, Devon Bolasky walked and Phil Holinsworth doubled down the left field line which advanced Bolasky to third base. Eddie Young grounded out but that scored Bolasky and Holinsworth advanced to third. Gonzalez singled to third for an RBI as he scored Holinsworth for UCR’s final run of the game.

UCR lost the game by only a single run. The Highlanders’ record stands at 4-7.