Jonathan Godoy/HIGHLANDER

March 6, 2012
Highlanders 2 – Hawks 1

Riverside squared off against Saint Joseph’s Tuesday and took the first of two games. UCR claimed two late runs that sealed its 2-1 victory.

Jordyn McDonald started for the Highlanders for a complete game as she pitched all seven innings. McDonald allowed one run on six hits, three walks and got six strikeouts in the process.

UCR scored in the fourth with a sacrifice bunt that tied the game at one a piece. In the next inning, the Highlanders mustered up two hits by Brittany Keeny and Alexis Pickett to get the lead, and that would be all that Riverside needed to get the victory.

March 6, 2012
Spartans 15 – Highlanders 6

UCR wrapped up play on Tuesday against Michigan State in route to a 6-15 loss that ended with the eight-run mercy rule. The Highlanders played catch-up since the start of the game but it just wasn’t enough.

Riverside scored in the first two innings to put their deficit within two 6-8, but that would be as close UCR would get. MSU continued to pile in runs and won it, 15-6.

March 7, 2012
Highlanders 7 – Colonels 6

UCR softball faced Eastern Kentucky for the first game of a double-header Wednesday. The Highlanders came up victorious when they homered three times in the game to seal the 7-6 win.

Jordyn McDonald continued her excellent pitching, going the full seven innings. She allowed six runs, two walks and got eight strike outs.

Brittany Keeney shined in the game, going 3-3 with three runs, three RBIs and two homers.

The Highlanders’ bats were on fire as they got 10 hits and held Kentucky scoreless in the seventh to seal the deal.

March 7, 2012
Highlanders 16 – Colonels 8

The UCR softball team concluded the double-header against Eastern Kentucky Wednesday in route to a 16-8 mercy rule win after six innings of play.

Casey Suda started for the Highlanders but Taylor Alvarez picked up the win.

The game was all tied up after five innings but Riverside scored eight runs on five hits in the bottom of the sixth. UCR homered three times in this game as well; two of them came from Kayla White who went 3-5 with four RBIs and three runs scored. The 16 runs were the most scored by UCR this season.

March 9, 2012
Highlanders 4 – Hawks 0

Riverside’s softball team opened up the Amy S. Harrison Classic with a 4-0 shutout win against Saint Joseph’s.

Jordyn McDonald continued to pitch well for the Highlanders as she went all seven innings. McDonald allowed three walks, five hits while striking out five batters.

UCR did damage in the third inning. Kaylie Atkinson walked, Halle Luna was hit by pitch and Kayla White drilled the ball down the right field for a two RBI triple. White later scored on a wild pitch to put the Highlanders up 3-0.

Riverside, in the sixth inning, claimed another run to put the game away.

March 10, 2012
Highlanders 3 – Bobcats 2

UCR softball continued play at the Amy S. Harrison Classic against Quinnipiac. The Highlanders were scoreless until the third inning and would use that inning to help them win 3-2.

Taylor Alvarez started for Riverside and only allowed two runs while she pitched all seven innings.

With two outs in the third, Riverside went on a two-out rally. Kayla White walked and Dionne Anderson singled up the middle. White and Anderson both stole their next bases and then Brittany Keeny singled to right field for two RBIs.

UCR scored in the next inning and held off Quinnipiac to just two runs to get the victory.

March 11, 2012
Bobcats 3 – Highlanders 2

UCR softball played Quinnipiac again Sunday morning. Riverside played from behind and was unable to get the sweep, losing 2-3.

Amy Lwin started for the Highlanders and could only go four innings before being pulled. Lwin allowed seven hits on three runs with one strikeout. Jordan Paolucci led off the top of the second for the Bobcats with a homer and Quinnipiac would score again for a 2-0 lead. The deficit would be too much for Riverside as the was unable to pull a comeback.

UCR’s Yesenia Duenas went 2-3 with one RBI while Dionne Anderson went 2-4 with one RBI and one run scored.

March 11, 2012
Lions 7 – Highlanders 6

UCR softball concluded play at the Amy S. Harrison Classic against Loyola Marymount this past Sunday afternoon. The Highlanders were unable to secure their lead into the final innings as it went into extra play with the Highlanders losing, 6-7.

The bats were hot for UCR as they jumped on Loyola 5-1 by the fifth inning. However, Loyola scored three runs in the seventh inning
to tie the game which sent it into extra innings. Riverside allowed two runs in the eighth and that would be it as UCR could not win it in the bottom of the inning.

Kayla White for the Highlanders was superb, going 4-5 with three RBIs, two runs scored and one home run.