Lenna Butt/HIGHLANDER

April 6, 2012
Tigers 3 – Highlanders 2

The UC Riverside softball team (18-18, 1-3) held a double header against the Pacific Tigers at Amy S. Harrison field Friday afternoon. In the first game the lady Highlanders came up short losing in route to a 2-3 decision.

The winning pitcher for the Tigers was Tori Shepard (9-4) and Riverside’s Jordyn McDonald received the loss. McDonald (8-10) pitched a complete game as she went all seven innings. McDonald allowed 10 hits, four walks and three runs but came up with four strikeouts.

In the first inning the Highlanders struck first, putting up a run on the board. The Highlanders scored another run in the fifth inning, which would be their last and final run, giving them a 2-0 lead heading into the sixth inning. Riverside played great up to the sixth inning of the game, holding Pacific to zero runs. The Tigers scored two runs in the sixth to tie the ballgame, 2-2.

The Tigers would take the a one run lead at the top of the seventh inning when Taylor Petty hit a sac fly to bring home the eventual game-winning run. In the bottom of the seventh inning the Highlanders got two runners on base but could not bring home the tying run, ending the game.

Alexis Pickett played great for the Highlanders as she batted 2-3 with one RBI and one walk. Riverside was unable to execute on the Tiger’s four errors and only scrounged up five hits as a team while leaving 11 players on bases.

Pacific’s Kelsey Rodriguez was their key player as she went 3-4 with one run scored.

April 6, 2012
Tigers 9 – Highlanders 1

The UC Riverside (18-19, 1-4) softball team finished the last game of the double header Friday afternoon against the Pacific Tigers (23-13, 3-2) in a Big West conference battle. The lady Highlanders came up way short compared to their previous game as the match was cut short to five innings en route to a 1-9 loss

Amy Lwin went 3.1 innings as she started for UCR while she allowed nine hits, seven runs, two walks and was charged with seven errors. Casey Suda came in to save Riverside and allowed five hits, two runs and two walks.

The Highlanders only achieved three hits the entire game and allowed the Tigers to get 14 hits. The only run the Highlanders scored was a homer by Dionne Anderson to right center field in the second inning. That was Anderson’s only hit of the game as she went 1-2 with one RBI and one run scored. The two other hits by Riverside came from Ariel Shore and Alexis Pickett.

The Tigers did their damage in the fourth inning as they scored eight runs on seven hits. It started with a walk and it escalated from there as Riverside allowed two more walks, four singles and three doubles.

April 7, 2012
Tigers 9 – Highlanders 8

The Highlander softball squad (18-20, 1-5) finished the three game series against the Pacific Tigers (24-13, 4-2) at Amy S. Harrison field in what turned out to be a high scoring game with the Highlanders scoring eight runs but would go on to lose the heartbreaking game, 8-9.

Jordyn McDonald (8-11) pitched for Riverside going 5.2 innings. She allowed eight hits on five runs, with two walks and two strikeouts. Taylor Alvarez relieved McDonald and also did not fare well against the Tigers as she allowed four runs on four hits and three walks in 1.1 innings.

The first inning, the Highlanders did their most damage as they scored six runs on four hits and two errors. Kayla White started it off with a walk and Shore followed with a single up the middle. Pickett doubled down the left field line for an RBI and later scored on an error. Jessica Vasser then singled to right field for another Riverside RBI and Anderson doubled to center for two RBIs and later scored on the final error by the Tigers.

The Tigers countered back by scoring four runs in the second inning and five runs total in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings as the Highlanders were only able to score two the rest of match.

The Highlanders continue play next Saturday, April 14 against the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos in another three-game series at the Amy S. Harrison Field.