Archive/HIGHLANDER

April 10, 2012
Waves 8 – Highlanders 7 (11)

UC Riverside’s baseball team faced off against Pepperdine Tuesday night in a showdown in which the Highlanders fell 7-8. The game needed two extra innings before it concluded.

Mitch Patito started the mound for the Highlanders going five innings before he got pulled for Mark Garcia. Patito got five strikeouts, allowed three walks, five hits and one run.

Through seven innings the game was back and forth as the two teams slugged each other’s pitchers. Pepperdine would take the lead and Riverside would tie it back up. At bottom of the eighth the Highlanders scored two runs to take a 4-2 lead. Pepperdine then countered with their own two run ninth inning to tie the game up as UC Riverside was unable to finish off the Pepperdine Waves.

Both teams scored an astounding three runs in tenth inning to send it into the second extra inning. Pepperdine only scored one run in the eleventh to take the win as the Highlanders were unable to score.

Coach Doug Smith commented on the heartbreaking loss and how to bounce back for their next few games. “That was a tough loss. The answer is you just have to get back to work at practice and get ready for the next game. It is difficult but that is the reality. Just get back to work.”

April 14, 2012
Highlanders 7 – Road Runners 0
The UC Riverside baseball team faced off against the CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners this past Saturday afternoon in a double header due to the rain delay. The first game went Riverside’s way as they beat the Roadrunners 7-0, breaking their three game losing streak at home.

Dylan Stuart (4-3) started the mound for the Highlanders as he led his team to victory. Stuart went seven innings, allowed zero runs, four hits and got six Roadrunners to strike out.

In the fifth inning UCR got on the board as they scored two runs on two hits with one error. Kevin Davidson singled up to right field and was later advanced to second base with a SAC bunt by Cody Hough. Nick Vilter walked and then Eddie Young singled to center field for an RBI.

Riverside scored two more runs the next inning and did their significant damage in the seventh inning as they scored three runs on just four hits. Phil Holinsworth and Vince Gonzalez both singled through the left side. Andriese singled through the right side for an RBI and Davidson came up and knocked in the final two runs with a single down the left field line.
For the Highlanders, Davidson came in clutch for DH as he went 3-4 with one run and two RBIs and his teammate Gonzalez went 2-4 with two runs and two assists.

April 14, 2012
Road Runners 2 – Highlanders 1

The UC Riverside baseball team slugged it out with CSU Bakersfield in the second game of the doubleheader Saturday afternoon. Both teams were held scoreless in more than six innings as the Highlanders were unable to duke it out in route to a 1-2 loss.

Eddie Orozco (4-4) started on the mound for Riverside and went all nine innings. Orozco allowed seven hits, two runs but struck out an astounding nine batters.

The Highlanders scored their only run in the third inning off of two hits and one error while leaving two men on base. Riverside got two outs quickly before finally having a man on base when Eddie Young walked. Young was advanced by an error and Phil Holinsworth singled to left field for an RBI. Vince Gonzales singled toward left field for Riverside was their final hit of the inning.

Riverside’s woes of striking out this season continued as they stroked out 10 times. After their final run the team only attained three more hits while they left seven men on the bases. However, the team as a unit did get seven hits and walked five times but could not execute when they needed to.

Gonzalez was the only Highlander to reach base twice as he went 2-4 with one strikeout. Riverside looks to finish the series Sunday afternoon against the Roadrunners.

April 15, 2012
Road Runners 6 – Highlanders 3

The UC Riverside baseball (10-18) team finished their three game series against CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners (17-17) Sunday afternoon. Riverside mustered up nine hits in the game but that would not be enough as they lost the game and the series to the Roadrunners 3-6.

Mitch Patito started the mound for the Highlanders but was pulled after 2.2 innings. Patito allowed four runs on five hits, walked three batters and struck out six.

The only three runs by the Highlanders came in the eighth inning on two hits. Prestridge came up to bat and singled through the left side. Prestridge later advanced to second on a wild pitch and stole third when Kevin Davidson walked. Kyle Boudreau came up to the plate and homered to right field.

Boudreau’s three RBIs were Riverside’s only three of the game. Boudreau went a stunning 3-3 in the game with one run and the three RBIs. Vince Gonzalez and Davidson also did well. They respectively went 2-5 and 2-3 with one run and one walk.

The Highlanders plan on using the next five home games to make up some ground before their six consecutive road games. Their next game is against San Diego, Tuesday April 24.