UCR Researchers Create Sensor to Measure Liquid Samples

Researchers at UCR have recently developed a sensor to measure samples by using a piece of glass tubing, which will help when measuring samples that are in liquid.

The sensor can be used in many different applications including toxicology, developmental biology, plant sciences and biomaterials engineering. The research was focused on toxicology and how it could improve the current technology that is expensive, time-consuming and labor-intensive.

The team was lead by William Grover, assistant professor of bioengineering at Bourns College of Engineering, and Shirin Mesbah Oskui, a bioengineering and biomedical engineering doctoral student in Grover’s lab.

The research team discovered that when they bent a piece of glass tubing into a “U” shape and attached a speaker to it, it could be used to measure the mass density and volume of the sample inside the tube. Their sensor was expanded from a similar technique that was developed at MIT for weighing single cells.

They hope that this new technique will help further advance the field because of its automation, portability and low cost.

The team also consisted of Heran Bhakta, a graduate student in bioengineering, Graciel Diamante, a graduate student in environmental sciences, Huinan Liu, associate professor of bioengineering and Daniel Schlenk, professor of aquatic ecotoxicology.

Michael Nduati to represent UCR in NMQF 40-Under-40 List

Michael Nduati of the UCR School of Medicine has been chosen by the National Minority Quality Forum (NMQF) as one of the “40 Under 40” Leaders in Minority Health.

Nduati currently serves as the senior associate dean for clinical affairs and CEO of UCR Health. As the senior associate dean, Nduati is responsible for the strategic development and growth of UCR Health, the medical school’s clinical enterprise, and serves as the physician executive leader of the medical school’s faculty practice.

The NMQF’s “40 Under 40” List seeks to recognize leaders that are taking strides to improve and diversify the healthcare marketplace. In addition to these qualities, the NMQF looks for leaders that can be role models for the next generation of leaders in minority health. Nduati is being recognized for his leadership role in this community as a minority health leader.  

Nduati started his education here at UCR with a bachelor’s degree in biomedical science. From here, he went to UCLA to earn his M.D. and M.B.A. After graduating from UCLA, he interned and did his residency at Kaiser Permanente Fontana. Then, he continued onto Harvard to earn his Masters in Public Health.

NMQF assists health-care providers, professionals, administrators, researchers, policy makers and community and faith-based organizations to create better programs for their communities to eliminate premature death and preventable illnesses.

The recipients of the 40-Under-40 List will receive their awards on April 25, 2017 at the 2017 NMQF Leadership Summit of Health Disparities and Congressional Black Caucus Spring Health Braintrust Gala Dinner in Washington, D.C.