Following an unfair labor practice lawsuit filed against the UC system last week by Patient Care Technical workers, who are represented by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) Local 3299, the union plans to strike again on Wednesday, April 10 after having done so the week of March 18 in response to stalled contract negotiations.

According to a press release, “Earlier this week (of March 24), Service and Patient Care workers filed an Unfair Labor Practice (ULP) charge at the Public Employment Relations Board addressing UC’s unlawful interference, which includes conduct ranging from workplace retaliation and threats of police citation to effectively condoning the violent physical assault of striking workers on the picket line.”

Several incidents over the past several months, including alleged assaults by university police and even employees against demonstrators, were cited in the charge as examples of the university breaching labor rights and creating a hostile work environment. AFSCME President Kathryn Lybarger was quoted in the release as saying that, “Now, UC is resorting to intimidation tactics to silence the thousands of workers across California that have taken a stand against this behavior. We cannot and will not allow UC to violate the rights of these workers by trampling state law.”

More information on the situation is forthcoming.