Bryan Turtle/HIGHLANDER

Date: May 22, 2012
Lions 3 – Highlanders 0

The UC Riverside baseball team faced off against the Loyola Marymount Lions last Tuesday afternoon. The ball game was ugly for the Highlanders as they only mustered three hits and left nine men on base which transpired into a 0-3 shutout loss.

Riverside’s starter Mitch Patito (3-4) went seven innings before being pulled. Patito allowed three runs on six hits, walked three batters, and got seven Lions to strike out. Patito last year as a reliever had a 5.75 ERA compared to this year’s 3.98.

Vince Gonzalez, who recently had his 19-game hitting streak broken on May 20, is now on a two-game drought with no hits. Gonzalez went 0-3 with one walk and two strikeouts.

Offensively, the Highlanders were able to get five walks but had nine batters who went down on strikes. The three hits by UCR were from Eddie Young, Phil Holinsworth and Nick Vilter. Young went 1-3 with a walk and both Holinsworth and Vilter went 1-4.

UCR found David Andriese in scoring position twice in the game. He walked in the second and reached once again on a fielder’s choice in the fourth. But he would be left on third base on both occasions. The Highlanders play their final road game against USC before heading back home for a stretch of three home games.

Date: May 23, 2012
Highlanders 14 – Trojans 9

The UC Riverside baseball team faced off against the USC Trojans last Wednesday night in a slugfest. The Trojans started off the gates fast with a 4-0 lead but the Highlanders countered back with runs each in the fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh innings to secure a 14-9 victory.

Both the Trojans and UCR came to the ball game with hot hands, as they both combined for 28 hits and 23 runs. This victory was Riverside’s second highest number of runs scored in a game this year.

Donovan Gonzales, who is usually not part of the rotation, started for the Highlanders. He was ousted after only four innings. Gonzales allowed five runs on five hits, walked one batter and got three Trojans to strike out.

David Andriese had the most momentum for Riverside as he went 3-6 with two runs scored and three RBIs. Andriese on the year now has seven multi-hit games, along with five multi-RBI games. Another Highlander, Eddie Young, was also hot, going 2-4 with three runs scored and two RBIs.

Vince Gonzalez continued his slump with a 0-4 performance. However, Gonzales has reached base 21 consecutive times. Offensively Riverside may have stroked out eight times, but on the positive side they achieved 10 RBIs compared to only eight in their last four games.

Date: May 25, 2012
Mustangs 11 – Highlanders 2

UC Riverside baseball squad faced off against the Cal Poly Mustangs this past weekend. They looked to finish the season on a good note but came up short in the first of three games. UCR was outhit 7-16 en route to a 2-11 loss.

UCR had a terrible time in the pitching department. Highlander pitchers allowed 16 hits, 11 runs, two triples and three hit batters.

Eddie Orozco (5-7) started on the mound for the Highlanders and was pulled after seven innings. Orozco allowed six runs on 11 hits, walked two batters and got six strikeouts. Mustangs pitcher Joey Wagman was enormous with 11 strikeouts and allowed one run on six hits.

Riverside managed to score twice in the sixth and the ninth. In the sixth inning Eddie Young doubled to right center field and later scored on a RBI single by Vince Gonzalez. In the ninth, AJ Beckly was hit by a pitch and scored on an RBI double from Kyle Boudreau for Riverside’s second and final run of the game.

Only four UCR plays reached base safely. Young went 2-4 with one run scored. Both Gonzalez and Boudreau went 2-4 with one RBI and Clayton Prestridge went 1-3 with one walk. Gonzalez continued his reached base streaks to 23.

Date: May 26, 2012
Mustangs 15 – Highlanders 9

UC Riverside’s baseball team finished the second of three games against the Cal Poly Mustangs this past Saturday night. The game got out of hand for Coach Doug Smith and his players as they allowed 15 total runs, eight in the third inning that put them down 0-10, en route to a 9-15 loss.

In the game, Riverside tied their most allowed hits with 16 and set a mark on runs scored with 15.

Trevor Frank, who has had success this year, was ousted after two innings pitched. Frank allowed nine runs on eight hits and two walks.

Vince Gonzalez was the only Highlander with hot hands as he went 3-5 with three RBIs. Then a few Highlanders heated up towards the end. Eddie Young went 2-4 with two runs scored and one RBI.  Devon Bolasky went 1-3 with two RBIs and AJ Beckley went 1-1 with two runs scored and two walks.

UCR did not score until the sixth inning and made their best mark in the seventh. Jake Gallaway and Rubanowitz achieved walks for UCR and Steponovich singled up the middle to load the bases. Young singled to center and Rubanowitz later scored on a wild pitch. Clayton Prestridge singled to right for two RBI and Bolasky doubled to left for two RBIs.

Date: May 27, 2012
Mustangs 6 – Highlanders 0

UC Riverside baseball (22-32, 9-15) finished their season off with Sunday’s game against the Cal Poly Mustangs. UCR looked to end their season on a good note, but sadly ended in a sweep, losing in a 0-6 shutout loss.

Riverside allowed a 16-hit performance by their opponents for the third consecutive game. Dylan Stuart (7-7) started on the mound for the Highlanders. Stuart allowed five runs on 12 hits, two walks, and one home run and got one strike out.

Riverside was 8-7 this year when Stuart started for his team. Stuart looks to achieve better next year as he’ll be returning to the team next season. The Highlanders will lose seniors Vince Gonzalez, Gavin Mills, Eddie Orozco and Bart Steponovich.

Mustangs pitcher Bryan Granger had a great game for his team as he went six innings and allowed zero runs, five hits and got three Highlanders to strike out.

Kyle Boudreau and Alex Rubanowitz for UCR went 2-3, Gonzalez went 1-3 with one walk and Phil Holinsworth went 1-4. Boudreau with his two-hit performance achieved his fifth multi-hit game and finished the year on a three-game hitting streak. Vince Gonzalez ended his season with 24 consecutive games in which he reached base.