Archive/HIGHLANDER

This season was a special season for the UC Riverside track and field team, as they were able to practice and compete in the newly constructed track stadium. The Highlanders performed in front of a home crowd for first time in seven years, in a dual meet with UC Santa Barbara. The UC Riverside men’s and women’s teams have competed very consistently throughout the season, especially on the individual level. The season came down to the the Big West Conference Championship where both teams finished fifth. The men’s fifth place was the highest in school history. The women’s team came in fifth for the third straight year.

“While we are very pleased with the individual success of the season – we had hoped to do better on the team front – especially the men’s side. We were less than 10 points out of fourth and less than 15 points out of third so a higher team placing was within reach. All in all getting three individuals all the way to Des Moines from the first round meet was impressive. There are many BCS schools that didn’t qualify that many men to NCAA Finals,” said Assistant Coach Nate Browne.

Caleb Stuart was the Big West champion in the hammer throw, and qualified for the NCAA nationals coming in fifth place at the NCAA regionals. Travis Smith is another Highlander who was a Big West champion in the shot put and will compete at nationals. Ryan Swafford who set a new school record in the triple jump, and will also be at nationals looking to be an All-American.  

On the women’s side Ashley Gatewood was the only women’s Big West champion on the team in the javelin. Gatewood would miss qualifying for the nationals by 0.03m. Damajeria Dubose had a solid breakthrough season, as she came in second at Big West in the 1500m.

The three national-qualified athletes, Smith, Stuart, and Swafford, will compete at the 2012 NCAA National Championships scheduled on June 6-9 in Des Moines, Iowa.