UC Board of Regents Appoint UC Provost
The former dean of UCLA’s Graduate School of Education and Information Studies Aimee Dorr will be serving as the next University of California provost and executive vice president for academic affairs. A special meeting by the Board of Regents on June 19 consisted of a 15-member committee and ended a national search to replace retired UC Provost Lawrence Pitts. Dorr will begin her duties on July 2.

As the newly-appointed chief academic officer, Dorr’s duties entail maintaining the academic excellence of UC’s 10 campuses during a time of unprecedented fiscal challenges. With 31 years of experience as a UCLA professor of education under her belt, Dorr has assumed prior positions as Chair of the Academic Senate and faculty representative to the UC Board of Regents. Also, Dorr obtained her B.S. in mathematics from Stanford University, where she pursued a M.A. and Ph.D. in psychology.

Dorr will be paid an annual salary of $350,000 in place of Pitts, who has not received a raise in salary since assuming the position back in February 2009. Dorr’s given salary falls below the market median of $439,000 by more than 20 percent and she will receive a standard benefits package.

Education Minor Established
UCR’s Graduate School of Education has established a minor in education for the upcoming fall of 2012. The 24-unit education minor will construct courses in education policy, the history of education, and the functionality of academic and nonacademic environments. “Education is all about how you gather, organize and transmit information. I can’t think of a profession that you would go into where you would say I don’t want to know anything about education,” stated Anne Jones, UCR director of teacher education, in reference to UCR Today.

Courses in the education minor do not result in a teaching credential, but may be coupled with the teacher education preparation program offered at UCR. The underlying attributes achieved through this minor allows for greater understanding in the areas of human development and cognition, while strengthening the foundation for aspiring teachers.

The Graduate School of Education offers both doctoral degrees and master’s in arts degrees in the areas of education, society and culture, educational psychology, higher education administration and policy, school psychology and special education. A master’s in education degree may be obtained in the fields of diversity and equity, general education, higher education administration and policy-reading emphasis, along with specific concentrations in special education.

UC Student Regent Nominated for 2013-14
Cinthia Flores, a UC Irvine law student, has been nominated for the student regent position for the 2013-14 academic year. 50 students from nine UC campuses applied for the position this year and a University of California Board of Regents’ special committee made the final recommendation after interviewing three finalists. The UC Student Association interviewed 10 semifinalists.

Flores graduated from UCLA in 2010 with a bachelor’s degree in political science and a double minor in Chicana/o studies and lLabor and Workplace studies. She served on the executive boards of the Associated Students of UCLA and UC Student Association while attending UCLA and was also the first Latina president of UCLA’s Undergraduate Student Association Council. Flores will be entering her second year at the UC Irvine School of Law this fall and is a Peggy Browning fellow and an Earl Warren Scholar. She is also a member of the Latina/o Law School Association and has received a California Bar Foundation Diversity Scholarship.

A vote will take place among the regents during their July 17-19 meeting and, if approved, Flores would become the 39th student regent. She would first serve as the student regent-designate during the 2012-13 academic year and be able to participate in all deliberations. Once her one year term as student regent begins in July 2013, she will be a voting member of the Board of Regents. Jonathan Stein, a master’s candidate in public policy and law student at UC Berkeley, is the student regent for the 2012-13 academic year.