women's soccer

Sept. 28, 2012
49ers 5 – Highlanders 1

The women’s UC Riverside soccer team squared off against their first Big West opponent, #21 ranked Long Beach State, Friday, Sept. 28 at the UC Riverside soccer stadium. Riverside’s last match was at the 49ers’ George Allen Field on Oct. 21, 2011. UCR went on to lose that match, 0-1. They looked to break their losing streak against LB State, but the Highlanders were outmatched and they went on to lose, 1-5.

Even though Long Beach drove down to Riverside’s field quite often, the Highlanders’ defense held the 49ers to zero points in the first period for a 0-0 tie. At the end of the

first period, Long Beach State had three shots on goal compared to Riverside’s zero.

Riverside’s great defense was unable to completely hold off Long Beach’s strong attack in the second period when 49er Kristyn Benavidez scored an unassisted goal at the 49:44 mark. Seconds later, the Highlanders found themselves down, 0-2, as they allowed another goal at the 50:52 mark.

The Highlanders, 10 minutes later, finally scored their only goal when Andrea Luttio found Tyler Cunningham. Cunningham received a wonderful pass on the right side of the field from Luttio that led her straight to the 49er’s goalkeeper. Cunningham was tripped but was able to get the shot off and pass the goalkeeper for her first goal of the season.

After Riverside scored, Long Beach went on to tear through Riverside’s defense, scoring three more goals, beating the Highlanders, 5-1.

Sept. 30, 2012
Anteaters 2 – Highlanders 1

The women’s soccer team finished their weekend play Sunday night against Big West opponent UC Irvine. They looked to break their five game losing streak against the Anteaters but fell short in a heartbreaking 1-2 overtime loss.

The Anteaters’ first goal was off a penalty kick. Highlander goalkeeper Jessica White dove to her right and barely glazed her hands on the ball as it flew into the net. Finally,

the Highlanders received their first shot on goal of the match at the 13:23 mark, which resulted in their only goal of the game to tie it, 1-1.

The goal by Riverside was first credited to Nicole Cheers when she headed the ball into the net after Andrea Luttio kicked it and the ball bounced off the crossbar. Later, the goal was credited to Luttio after the refs said the ball crossed the goal line. The goal by Luttio was her second of the season.

Riverside goalkeeper White played an outstanding game, only allowing one goal in the two periods of play before she allowed the losing goal in overtime. White ended up with six shots saved.

The Riverside women’s head coach, Nate Gonzalez, was asked about the tough loss, “Well compared from friday, we played 100 percent better. More confident and we had our chances to score. But against good teams you can’t give a lot of free kicks, but we are playing better.”

The women’s soccer team is headed on a three game road trip with their first matchup against Hawai’i Friday, Oct. 5
.