Courtesy of Press Enterprise

UCR fraternity breaks sandwich-making world record
On Oct. 9, the members of Theta Tau, a professional engineering fraternity, attempted to break the world record of most sandwiches made in an hour. The sandwiches of choice were peanut butter and jelly, which were later distributed by Second Harvest Food Bank around Riverside. The previous world record was set by 100 children and parents with the Jewish UJA-Federation, with a record of 1,660 sandwiches according to the World Record Academy site. The Guinness world record for the most sandwiches made in an hour was previously set at 1,500 sandwiches. Theta Tau was able to make 1,686 sandwiches in 43 minutes with only a group of about 90 students.

Catherine Ferguson, director of donor relations at Second Harvest and official witness for the record-breaking sandwich assembly, told the Press-Enterprise that she was excited to partner with a campus organization and was grateful for the large donation of food.

UC Davis pepper-spray documents released
As per the request of the Sacramento Bee and other media organizations, and almost a year after the UC Davis pepper spraying incident, the University of California released over 9,500 documents and emails related to the case on Tuesday, Oct.16. These documents reveal many unpublicized reports of the investigation, along with the internal and external reactions of the public. Many emails contained very harsh wording and the words “Hitler” and “Gestapo” were used in over 30 different cases.

According to the investigation conducted by the Sacramento Bee, the pages of documents reveal a lack of leadership within campus administrators, including the police. The incident has cost the UC and UCD about $1 million in settlements and almost another $1 million in investigations and other related costs. It was revealed that a large chunk of the documents included emails to Chancellor Katehi regarding her alleged lack of reaction and guidance to such a time-sensitive situation. The documents also revealed immense public backlash against the mistreatment of student protesters.

Under the Public Records Act, the UC system was forced to provide public access to the documents. The release of these documents was initially delayed because UC officials said they were being used in the criminal investigation of the incident.