Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, grocery stores are experiencing massive overflow and food shortages. Goods like pasta and bread are especially difficult to come across. If you’re in need of carbohydrates but don’t have any yeast, try making this savory pancake that is both simple and delicious!
Ingredients (makes 3)
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cups of warm water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 stalks of green onion
- Sesame oil
- Roasted sesame seeds (optional)
1. First prep your ingredients. Boil 1 cup of water, set aside 2 cups of flour in a large mixing bowl and chop your green onion into small bite-sized pieces.
2. Once the water is boiled, dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt in the water.
3. Next, slowly pour the water into the flour while mixing.
4. Knead your dough until it’s smooth and elastic. You can add more flour or water if the dough is either too dry or too sticky.
5. Let the dough sit and rest for at least 10 minutes.
6. Once that is done, cut the dough into 3 equal pieces and use a rolling pin to roll out each piece. Make sure that each rolled piece is flat, but not too thin that it will break when lifted.
- Tip: sprinkle flour on your board so the dough won’t stick and tear.
7. Brush a layer of sesame oil (you can use vegetable oil as a substitute as well) onto one side and sprinkle a handful of green onions on top.
- Optional: sprinkle roasted sesame seeds on top if you want a sweeter pancake or a pinch more salt if you want something a bit more savory.
8. Take one side and tightly roll to the other side.
9. Next, press the two ends together as hard as you can. This will create the layers inside the pancake.
10. Once that is done, you should end up with a short cylindrical shape. Next, just roll out the pancake till it is nice and flat again.
11. All that’s left to do now is to fry them! Pour some oil into a pan and fry each side for at least four minutes (or until golden brown) on medium heat with a lid on.
- Tip: Wait until the pan is hot before putting in the pancake and don’t forget to re-oil your pan for each pancake.