GuideToUCR – Leo Yue / The Highlander

Following the end of quarantine, a majority of students have migrated from online to in-person learning. With 70% of classes being held in person, one begs the question: What are the best places to hang out and study on campus? 

There are many beautiful spaces to study all over campus. First-year neuroscience major Natalie Dahl’s favorite place to study on campus is in the Rivera Library. She states, “The overall ambiance makes me feel studious and creates a productive atmosphere.” When looking for a change in scenery, Dahl says, “I love to study in the AI Rolling Knoll whenever I want to escape the stuffiness of my dorm.” Likewise, second-year history major Dustin Le’s favorite on-campus study spot is the Student Success Center, stating that he loves to “sit in the study nooks and spend hours pouring myself into my work.” 

For all the commuter students or those looking to simply get out of the house, there are plenty of on-campus spots to attend online classes. Both the Orbach and Rivera libraries have dedicated the whole second floor as a quiet space to attend classes and get homework done. The on-campus theater is available to all students from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays. The Highlander Union Building also dedicated the south half of room 302 for students to attend remote classes, giving students plenty of space to attend online classes.   

Outside of studying and classes, the campus has many wonderful spots to hang out with your fellow students. Dahl loves to sit and talk with friends outside the art building, stating, “Overall, the area has a wonderful vibe and it makes me feel at home.” Le, on the other hand, prefers to hang out in his residence lounge as he states, “It’s a wonderful place to meet new people. There’s always someone hanging out there whether they’re studying or watching a movie.”  

If you’re trying to get away from dining hall cuisine, there are plenty of restaurants on campus that take dining dollars. Le states, “I love the food at Savor, especially their broccoli cranberry salad. The combination of sweet and savory is absolutely delicious.” Dahl, on the other hand, prefers some of the restaurants in the HUB as she often goes to Panda Express for a quick lunch before class.

A short walk away from UCR is the University Village, where there are a plethora of restaurants to choose from, with most offering student discounts. Le states, “My favorite place in the Village is The Buffalo Spot. If you haven’t tried their oreo shake, you should because it’s to die for.” Dahl loves to hang out at Sharetea as it reminds her of home. “My friends and I used to go there at least once a week, and I was so happy to find one close to campus,” said Dahl.

Both on and off-campus, there are so many amazing hangouts and study spots for students to hang out and get involved in campus life. Whether it be eating dinner with friends in the HUB, hanging out in your hall lounge or studying in the library, the campus fosters a welcoming and safe environment for all students.