After coming home from a long day of school or work, I always like to end my day with a warm and soft chocolate chip cookie. Not only do you get chocolate goodness through every bite, but you also have a soft dough texture that balances with the crunch of the chocolate chips. However, eating a plain chocolate chip cookie can sometimes be a bit boring. After doing much research and experimenting, I have finally found the cookie recipe that is a surprise in every bite you take. 

MATCHA MOCHI COOKIES

Preparation time: 1 hour

Servings: 20 

To make the mochi ingredients:

1 cup glutinous rice flour

1 tablespoon of cornstarch

1/2 tablespoon of sugar

1 cup of milk of your choice

1 tablespoon of olive oil spread 

In order to make the mochi filling, mix the glutinous rice flour, cornstarch, sugar and milk together in a bowl. Seal it with a plastic wrap. Make sure to poke holes on top of the wrap for ventilation. Microwave the mochi mix for 2 minutes and 45 seconds.

Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil spread into the mochi mix and fold in with a spatula. Then, wrap the mochi spread with a new plastic wrap and place it in the bowl. Place the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.

To make the cookie ingredients:

¾ cup of olive oil spread

¾ cup of light brown sugar

1 ⅖ cup of all purpose flour

1 ½  tablespoon of matcha

1 cup of roughly chopped dark chocolate

1 teaspoon of baking soda

1 egg

Stir the olive oil spread in a separate bowl, and add in the brown sugar and baking soda. Sift in flour and matcha powder, mixing until it is evenly combined. Then, add in the egg and mix well until the mixture is evenly combined. 

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and let it chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 F and line the baking sheets with parchment paper. 

After 30 minutes, take out the mochi and cookie mixture from the fridge. Roll out the mochi mixture to make 20 small balls about half the size of your thumb. It’ll be helpful to wear plastic gloves to help roll the balls out easier. 

Next, roll out 20 slightly larger balls of the cookie batter. Flatten each of the cookie batter balls and place the mochi ball inside. Bring the edges over until the mochi is completely covered by the cookie batter.

Press in chocolate chips into the cookies.

Bake for 12 minutes and let it cool for 5-8 minutes before enjoying!