Disclaimer: This recipe is not Mexican but an amalgamation of American and Mexican elements. My Abuelita would never make something like this but would chuckle at the invention. 

Inspired by both the Super Bowl and leftover chicken from Trader Joe’s, I embarked to make something scrumptious. 

Empowered by endless hours of cooking shows the last couple of years in lockdown, I decided to trust my instincts and go for it. A diehard fan of Binging with Babish, “Parts Unknown,” “No Reservations,” “Iron Chef” and “Selena + Chef,” I felt I had learned something. 

My goal was to use items fellow Highlanders might already have handy and keep ingredients to a minimum.

BUFFALO CHICKEN TAQUITOS 

Start to finish: 20 minutes 

Servings: 8

1 cup shredded chicken

1/2 cup buffalo sauce

1 cup Mexican-blend cheese

1/2 cup cream cheese

8 corn tortillas 

Cooking oil spray

Toothpicks

Mix the chicken and sauce together, and let them marinate in the refrigerator for an hour. 

Spray avocado cooking oil to lightly spritz a microwave-safe bowl with a lid. Add cream cheese and 1/2 a cup of Mexican-blend cheese into the bowl. Then, microwave it for 30 seconds. Add the other half cup of cheese, and microwave it for another 30 seconds. 

“Schitt’s Creek” viewers: brace yourselves. We are much like David and Moira Rose about to fold in the cheese. Never fear folks; folding in the cheese means we are mixing and incorporating the cheese until it forms a uniform sauce. 

Wrap 8 tortillas in either a clean kitchen towel or paper towels, and microwave for 30 seconds, or until they are flexible. 

Take your chicken out and prepare your mise en place (French for setting up your ingredients). 

Grab a tortilla and a teaspoon of your chicken, followed by your cheese sauce. Spread them in a line down the middle. Roll them up, and secure them with a toothpick. 

Place your taquitos in your air fry tray. Then lightly use your cooking spray to cover them with a light layer. Set your air fryer to 400 F for 4 minutes. Flip your taquitos. Repeat. 

The outcome was amusing and tasty. I got out of my cooking rut but hope that Selena Gomez, Babish and the Iron Chefs never find my recipe. It’s something to consider making if you want to break your routine, but it will not be in any Michelin-star restaurant’s menu.