Courtesy of Gage Skidmore via Wikimedia-Commons under CC BY SA-2.0

The face of fake news and Fox’s Trump era has finally been dismissed. “Fox News Media and Tucker Carlson have agreed to mutually part ways,” Fox News announced. Tucker Carlson has been with Fox News since Nov. 14, 2016. He was a subsequent replacement for Bill O’Reilly who was fired due to a series of sexual assault allegations. Carlson was a ticking time bomb – his downfall was imminent. His show was often laced with racist remarks and anti-semitic comments that worried even the heads of Fox. While his rhetoric seemed popular amongst far-right viewers, his racist and misogynistic attitudes inside and outside the studio littered road blocks for legitimate journalists everywhere. 

The Dominion defamation lawsuit was the last straw; a case in which several, now redacted, text messages were publicized. Carlson called a senior executive the c-word and admits his passionate hatred for Trump, although he’s cheered him on faithfully since day one. Jonathan Greenblatt, director of the anti-defamation league, ADL, tweeted “It’s about time. For far too long, Carlson has used his primetime show to spew antisemitic, racist, xenophobic and anti-LGBTQ hate to millions.”

Just last month, Carlson was a defendant in a lawsuit filed by Abby Grossberg. Grossberg says, to MSNBC, “I knew as a female I would never get the executive producer title, The opportunity came up to go to Tucker. It was a promotion.” However, she also comments on Carlson making her life “a living hell.” She comments to Rolling Stone of the “frat-style culture” within Tucker Carlson Tonight. Grossberg felt she was punished for speaking out against, what she called, a “bro-fest.” She was shut down, left out of meetings, and eventually demoted. Abby Grossberg’s lawyers describe her firing as retaliatory. This inner depiction of Tucker Carlson only makes his firing that much sweeter – someone so used to demoralizing women and anyone working alongside him deserves nothing but contempt. 

Carlson has quite the repertoire when it comes to the fabrication of news stories that align with his political beliefs. Even if these stories defame marginalized people. One such conspiracy he fashioned was the FBI’s involvement in the Capitol attack of January 6. According to Abby Grossberg, Tucker had it in his head that an FBI agent was placed in the crowd and was responsible for the insurrection.This irresponsible broadcasting and contribution to further doubt in the Fourth Estate is one of the many reasons Tucker Carlson deserved the boot.

These occurrences are just a few recent debacles in the midst of years-long journalistic wrongdoings committed by Tucker Carlson. Only now, in the wake of the Dominion case, can viewers of news media outlets understand the gravity of Carlson’s journalistic malpractice. His stories have hurt marginalized groups and spun stories to fit his personal beliefs without regard for basic journalistic standards or the truth. However, while Tucker Carlson may have been the face of these fiascos, it is up to Fox News to clean up their ac. Being a prime-time host of a network should not absolve anyone of consequences no matter the amount of revenue cashed in for the network and their owners.