Released May 19, 2023 “Fast X” follows our group of street racers that have pulled off multiple near-impossible feats. Led by Dom Toretto (Vin Diesel), the family’s new adventure follows them taking Dante Reyes, played by Jason Momoa. Dante Reyes is revealed to be the son of Hernan Reyes, the antagonist from “Fast Five” back in 2011. In the 2011 film, Toretto and his team stole Reyes’s safe filled with money before Reyes was killed in the climax of the movie. Now out for revenge, Momoa puts on a spectacular performance as the intelligent and witty antagonist of the film. He acts in such a joyous manner while still speaking in an intimidating fashion that makes you fear his next move. His character’s wittiness adds more depth and shows just how much fun Momoa had while playing this character.

One of the things that the “Fast and Furious” movies are well-known for is the incredulous stunts and nonstop action sets that revolve around cars and high-level heists. This entry is no different as we continue to see how far Dom will go to defend his family. These movies are escapes from reality, and magic is still prevalent in this film. When following Toretto’s main plot, the vehicular action is still present and continues to amaze us at the feats he’s able to accomplish.

It can be difficult to follow the overall plot as this movie is split into three subplots. The main plot line is Dom and Dante’s feud. Running alongside the three other subplots include the rest of the team being led by Roman (Tyrese Gibson) trying to get to the rendezvous point, Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) being paired up with the likes of Cypher (Charlize Theron) and Jakob (John Cena) protecting Dom’s son while also trying to get to the rendezvous point. The transitions between these subplots do hurt the film’s emotional core, but it still leaves you wondering what follows the next move and when we’ll shift back to pick up where one subplot left off.

Not only does Toretto face Dante’s mercenaries that drive the plot forward, but there’s also the Agency. The Agency has been around since the seventh movie, and would occasionally hire Toretto and his team for unaffiliated, high-stakes, off-the-grid missions. Aimes (Alan Ritchson) is the new leader of the Agency since Mr. Nobody’s unexplained absence is nowhere to be found in the film, though we do get the introduction of Tess (Brie Larson). She is revealed to be Mr. Nobody’s daughter and goes rogue by trusting more in Toretto and his team while the Agency turns them into fugitives that need to be apprehended.

It was confirmed by Vin Diesel himself that this movie would be the first of three films that would bring the Fast Saga to an end. This movie does feel like the first entry in a three-part conclusion, even though it does end on a cliffhanger that will leave you shocked and wanting to have answers immediately. All along the movie, we’ve seen many callbacks to past movies and even some special appearances from characters that came out in past films in this saga.

As I’m sure you’re curious to see what comes next in the series, be sure to stay tuned for a post-credit scene at the end.

Verdict: “Fast X” continues to add to Dominic Toretto’s legacy while leaving fans hanging and begging for more.