The wildcard round of the NFL playoff begins this weekend and every Super Bowl hopeful will be looking to book their spot in the divisional round. The NFL script writers were at their best with the week 18 of the regular season cementing some storybook matchups. Here is a preview of each matchup and which team will make it through to the divisional round:

Browns @ Texans

Both teams in this matchup come into the playoffs as underdogs, each with differing circumstances as to why they were not expected to make it this far. CJ Stroud and company are looking to further cement a franchise turnaround after many years of mediocre seasons. The Browns have also had an impressive season after being hit with several injuries on both sides of the ball, namely their superstar running back Nick Chubb and Quarterback Deshaun Watson. The last time these teams played the Browns beat a CJ Stroudless Texans 36-22, and the general consensus is that Stroud is worth a 14 point flip. The Texans win at home to advance to the divisional.

sports_nfl playoffs_courtesy of wikimedia commons

Dolphins @ Chiefs

This is a game where it could be a completely different story if the location of the game was flipped. The matchups across the board are relatively even, even with Miami’s defensive injuries. However, it’s clear to see how much of a disadvantage it will be for the Dolphins to play in negative temperatures as opposed to sunny Miami. This weather and its effect on the field alone will neutralize the stout running game of the Dolphins and the passing offense led by Tua Tagovailoa. Chiefs move on to yet another divisional playoff game.

Packers @ Cowboys

The matchup between the Packers and Cowboys has produced some all-time classics over the years as both teams have always managed to stay among the NFL’s best teams and have met in the playoffs several times. This time however it is a tale of two teams at different points in their builds. The Packers are the youngest playoff team in NFL history led by an inexperienced quarterback and a mediocre defensive scheme while the Cowboys are among the league’s best offenses while also boasting a turnover creating defense. The Cowboys should take this one in a blowout. 

sports_nfl playoffs 1_courtesy of wikimedia commons

Rams @ Lions

The scriptwriters deserve an Oscar for this matchup where we will in some way see the culmination of the trade that redefined both franchises a few years ago. Since then Jared Goff and the Lions have revamped their culture and are one of the toughest teams in the NFL while the Rams somehow got themselves out of cap hell by drafting well in the later rounds and developing them under one of the best coaches in the league. This game will be a shootout and it will be up to the defenses to see which team comes out on top, and the Rams are slightly more experienced giving them the edge in this matchup winning the Matthew Stafford Bowl.

Steelers @ Bills

This game got moved to Monday night due to how terrible the weather conditions were with blizzard winds and several inches of snow. While on paper the Bills blow the Steelers out of the water. The weather will narrow the gap between the two teams severely as passing will be incredibly difficult meaning Bills’ quarterback Josh Allen will be limited in his playmaking. If there ever was a team that overcomes weather it will be the Bills, however, and Allen’s ability to run is one the best in the league and their defense will create turnovers on a weak Steelers offense. The Bills will win by a slim margin although it will not feel like a close game. 

Eagles @ Buccaneers

Somehow saving the worst for last is the matchup between the Eagles and the Buccaneers The Eagles have absolutely fallen apart in the last few weeks of the season after making it to the SuperBowl last year and starting this season off 8-1. The Buccaneers have also shown signs of weakness barely beating some of the worst teams in the NFL and almost squandering a playoff opportunity. Probably the worst matchup in the wildcard rounds, these two teams really have to beat their own ceilings in order to win this matchup and the team best equipped to do that is the Buccaneers as the Eagles are facing several key injuries to quarterback Jalen Hurts and wide receiver AJ Brown. The tush push won’t save the Eagles this time as they lose a close one and are eliminated early. 

That leaves the potential matchups for the divisional round in the AFC to be Chiefs @ Bills and Texans @ Ravens with the matchups for the NFC being Buccaneers @ Cowboys and Rams @ 49ers.