Highlander/Archive
Highlander/Archive

Dec. 30, 2014
Cyclones 71 – Highlanders 54

On the night before New Year’s Eve, UCR’s women’s basketball team faced Iowa State in the Cyclone Challenge in Ames, Iowa. After advancing with a first-round victory over Brown University, the Highlanders lost against the Cyclones, 71-54.

UCR’s Brittany Crain leads the Big West in scoring with 23.1 points per game, Simone DeCoud is at number nine and Annelise Ito is close behind at number 13. Crain and Ito are both in the top ten in rebounds, and the three-point duo of DeCoud and Crain take the number two and three spots in three-point percentage. Crain also ranks number one in steals with 2.6 per game.

The Highlanders had a rocky start, as the Cyclones scored eight unanswered points. The Highlanders got to within three points after a jumper from Annelise Ito, but would stay put for the next seven points, bringing the score to 18-8.

Crain made a jumper with 11:00 remaining, 18-10, but UCR remained down throughout the first half. The score was 36-24 at the end of the first half.

Both teams were almost even except in a few categories. Three-point percentage was where UCR struggled, making only two of 16 attempts, while Iowa State converted on 11 of 30. UCR was also out-rebounded, 34-46.

Iowa State maintained their lead through the opening minutes of the second half. Crain and Ito scored consecutive jumpers to cut the deficit 39-28 with about 18 minutes remaining.

The Highlanders would not knock down a field goal for the next four minutes, until Ito’s offensive rebound and jumper with 14:12 remaining, 45-31.

Unfortunately the Highlanders would not be able to get enough defensive stops for the rest of the game as Iowa State maintained their double-digit lead en route to a 71-54 victory.

Jan. 3, 2015
Highlanders 81 – Roos 38

UCR women’s basketball started the New Year off strong with a 81-38 victory over Missouri-Kansas City.
Four Highlanders scored double figures in the lopsided victory. Brittany Crain scored 25 points, Dynese Adams 15, Michelle Curry 14 and Akilah had 10. Curry also recorded a double-double with 10 assists.

The Roos scored first with a jumper from Grace Mitchell, but the Highlanders immediately countered with nine unanswered points. The Roos’ Samantha Waldron ended their short drought with a three-pointer, but Crain answered with a three-pointer with 15:06 remaining in the first half, 12-5.

Starting from Crain’s last three-pointer, until the 10th minute, UCR held the Roos to eight points, while adding six points themselves.

Crain, Adams, Curry and Martin combined for 31 out of UCR’s 45 first-half points as the Highlanders led 45-19. UC Riverside shot 55.6 percent from the field while tallying 12 assists for the period.

To start the second half, Adams bolted out of the gates with a steal and lay-up to add two points to the scoreboard, 47-19. By the 19th minute, UCR would lead by 31 points, 50-19. An incredible 14 unanswered points would ensue, further increasing their lead to 45 points.

UCR kept pounding their way to 81 points, allowing UMKC to score only 19 points for the period. With the win, UCR now moves into conference play as they travel to face off against Cal State Fullerton on Thursday, Jan. 8.