Gordon Huang/HIGHLANDER

March 1, 2012
Highlanders 5 – Vikings 0

UCR’s softball team hosted Portland State as part of Riverside’s first of four games in the Highlander Classic at Amy S. Harrison Field. UCR scored four runs in the first inning in route to 5-0 shutout victory.

Jordyn McDonald for Riverside pitched a complete game as she went all seven innings. She achieved eight strikeouts and only gave up two hits. In the first inning, the Highlanders managed only one hit and scored four runs.

Kayla White started it off as she walked and was the Highlanders’ first runner. Wild pitches were thrown, Riverside scored two and Alexis Pickett doubled down the left field line for two RBIs.

In the third inning, Riverside scored its final run. Jessica Vasser walked and Dionne Anderson was hit by a pitch. Kaylie Atkinson singled up the middle as Riverside loaded the bases.

Yesenia Duenas came up to bat after Pickett flied out to left field and attained a walk; she scored Vasser in the process. That was the Highlanders’ only other RBI beside Pickett’s two.

March 2, 2012
Highlanders 4 – Black Bears 3

Softball continued tournament play against Maine Friday afternoon. The Highlanders were able to pull off a two-out rally for a come-from-behind 4-3 victory over Maine in extra innings.

The Highlanders were scoreless until the bottom of the sixth. Brittany Keeney walked, Dionne Anderson singled up the middle and Kaylie Atkinson walked, which loaded the bases. Alexis Pickett singled to left field for a RBI which tied the game one a piece.

It went into extra play and in the top of the eighth, the Highlanders allowed two runs on three hits. Keeney started off the bottom of the inning already on second base for the Highlanders. Jessica Vasser fouled out to right field which advanced Keeney to third. Anderson grounded out to short for the second out but Atkinson homered to left field for two RBIs for a 3-3 tie.

Pickett reached on bases with an error and was able to steal second. Another error advanced Pickett to third and Jordyn McDonald doubled to right center for the game-winning RBI.

March 3, 2012
Gamecocks 9 – Highlanders 4

Riverside’s softball team continued its play at the Highlander Classic at Amy S. Harrison Field when the team squared off against South Carolina. The Highlanders were powerless against Carolina’s offense in route to a 4-9 loss.

Jordyn McDonald started for the Highlanders and struggled for three innings before being pulled. McDonald allowed five runs on four hits and walked three. Amy Lwin only went four innings, allowed six hits, walked three and allowed four runs.

UCR’s defense allowed South Carolina to score in five consecutive innings, putting them in a eight-run deficit at 1-9 by the fifth inning.

Riverside tried to make a comeback as it scored three runs in the fifth on four hits. Halle Luna singled to shortstop and Kayla White tripled to right center for an RBI, scoring Luna. Lwin came up and knocked in a two RBI homer to right field but that was it for the Highlanders. UCR could not score anymore and the Highlanders lost 4-9.

March 4, 2012
Highlanders 8 – Vikings 0

Riverside’s softball team (7-11) concluded play at the Highlander Classic on Sunday with an 8-0 shutout victory over Portland State (9-10) at Amy S. Harrison Field.

Taylor Alvarez started for the Highlanders as she only allowed four runs, one walk and she piled up four strike outs.

The Highlanders got eight hits and were held scoreless in just one inning. Ariel Shore shined for UCR as she went 2-2 with four RBIs, one walk and scored twice.

The fourth inning was when Riverside did its damage as the Highlanders scored four runs on four hits. Jessica Vasser started the team off with a single through the left side. Luna came in to pinch run for Vasser and she stole second. Pickett singled to left field and later stole second. Shore singled up the middle for two RBIs and White tripled to right center for two more RBIs.

The Highlanders’ next two games come on Tuesday, March 6 against Saint Joseph’s and Michigan State.