The UC Riverside Women’s basketball team dropped its final game of the season at the Student Recreation Center against the UC Irvine Anteaters by a score of 60-65 in overtime. The loss to the Anteaters diminished any hopes the Highlanders had of continuing their season with a berth in the Big West Conference Tournament. Even with a win against the Anteaters, the Highlanders would have needed other Big West rivals to lose games to gain a chance. While being blow out widely by their opponents in their previous six games, the Highlanders played the Anteaters closely, sending the game to overtime. The Highlanders fell to 5-24 overall and 3-13 in Big West play, while the Anteaters improved to 13-16 overall and 9-7 in the Big West conference.

In the first half, the Highlanders got off to a hot start as a 13-3 run gave them an early 17-9 lead with minutes remaining. The Highlander defense was solid, holding the Anteaters off the scoreboard during the 13-3 run. The Anteaters had a 12-0 run of their own and took the lead, 21-17. The Highlanders were quick to respond to the Anteater offensive outburst as Dynese Adams hit a jump shot to cut the lead to 21-19. Jessica Ogunnorin then hit a three at the end of a 7-0 Highlander run, regaining the lead 24-21. The Anteaters, however, took a one-point lead to the locker room, 28-27, at the end of the half. The Highlanders, while playing well, committed 16 turnovers in the first half; the Anteaters scored 14 points off those turnovers.

In the second half, the Highlanders were the better team, but turnovers committed by the Highlanders kept the Anteaters in the game. The Anteaters had seven points off 14 Highlander turnovers. The score remained tight as the Highlanders led by one, 46-45, with 1:45 remaining. Anteater Kelly Meggs hit a three to give the Anteaters a two-point lead with 1:23 remaining. The Highlanders tied the game thanks to Brittney Palmer who drew a shooting foul with six seconds left. Palmer hit both of her free-throws to tie the game at 48-48 and send the game into extra time.

In the overtime period, the Highlanders fell behind by five points early after turning over the ball three times on their first four possessions. Kelly Meggs of the Anteaters continued to be a thorn, scoring nine points in the extra session. The Highlanders were outscored 17-12 in overtime and fell to the Anteaters 65-60.

The Highlanders, while plagued by 33 turnovers, dominated the game in rebounds, 47-28, and held the Anteaters to just 33 percent from the field. Highlander Jessica Ogunnorin had a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds. Jamila Williams also added 11 rebounds for the night. The Highlanders were led in points by Brittany Palmer who had 19 points. Anteater Kelly Meggs had a game-high 26 points and teammate Anete Klintsone had 16 points, hitting 12 of 13 free throws. The Highlanders closed out the season with a seven-game losing streak.