Courtesy of Paramount Pictures
Courtesy of Paramount Pictures

Michael Bay’s film adaptations over the last few years have been disappointing to say the least (ehem, Transformers). “13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi” breaks this streak of disappointing films in resounding Michael Bay fashion.

The siege of the American embassy in Benghazi, Libya has been an event shrouded in controversy since the attacks took place on the 11th anniversary of 9/11. This film is a true story and was made possible with the help of former security personnel responsible for rescuing Americans who survived the attack on our embassy: Kris “Tanto” Paronto, John “Tig” Tiegen and Mark “Oz” Geist. These men helped Bay put together one of the most significant war films in American history.

“13 Hours” is filled with excellent acting performances all around; I never would have expected such a great soldier from Jim Halp I mean, John Krasinski as CIA contractor Jack Silva, and Matt Letscher worked well as ambassador Chris Stevens. What stands out most about this film is its constant adrenaline-filled action. There is always a sense of urgency and danger, with only a few moments to catch a breath (and occasionally a solid laugh).

“13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi,” though at times difficult to watch, is a well put-together representation of the horrors that took place that night four years ago. If what you want is the soldier’s side of this story, you’ll leave the theater satisfied. Emotionally shaken and uncomfortable, but satisfied.