Brittany Crain (No. 23) keeps the ball on her side, away from her defender.

When you talk with those around the UC Riverside women’s basketball program about the current season, you get a sense of apprehension. A calm hesitance, of sorts, in which the group is well aware of their accomplishments thus far but unwilling to acknowledge that this season is on pace to be a historic one for the program. Rather, they portray a “one game at a time” mentality that, while seemingly cliche, is a formula that has proved rewarding for teams at every level.

Though do not be mistaken: The Highlanders have racked up a bevy of accomplishments this season, with star guard Brittany Crain racking up 2,000 career points being the most recent among them. But the accomplishment they will all hesitate to address is one that is currently unfolding. The women stand at 15-7 overall and are currently undefeated in conference play with 8 games remaining before the Big West tourney. If the team manages to go 7-1 during the next eight games, they can amass their highest win total in program history with 22.

Accomplishing such a feat would be outstanding for the team, but them being in position to do so becomes even more amazing when considering that it was only two seasons ago that the team went 6-23 overall and failed to make the conference tournament altogether. Now though, they are undeniable favorites to win the conference championship — a probability that was bolstered after this week’s victory over the Big West’s formerly second-place team, UC Davis — and have their sights set on a probable NCAA tournament berth in March.

Sure, the team won’t admit to this themselves, but when speaking to analysts and scouts around the NCAA, they acknowledge that UC Riverside women’s basketball could very well land in the big tournament as a 14th seed — a scenario which we examined in depth two weeks ago. And the national recognition for the Highlanders doesn’t stop there, as WNBA (Women’s National Basketball Association) scouts have been giving stud junior forward Rejane Verin a serious look as a potential 2017 draft prospect.

Despite this, coach John Margaritis will continue to keep the Highlanders steady, solely focusing on the tasks that lie directly ahead. As of now, that begins Thursday, Feb. 11 against the currently 2-19 Cal State Fullerton Titans and Saturday, Feb.13 in a rematch against now 6-3 UC Davis.

One game at a time is and will continue to be the mantra, but for UCR, each game that results in a victory gets them all the more closer to making program history.