Courtesy of Riverside Police Department
Courtesy of Riverside Police Department

On Feb. 24, the Riverside Police Department arrested a man in conjunction with an intercepted package containing over 1,000 ecstasy pills.

The package, originating from the Netherlands, was addressed to an apartment on the 3000 block of Iowa Avenue and was disguised as a jigsaw puzzle. After federal officials discovered the narcotics, they were delivered to the suspect’s apartment complex where law enforcement officers observed him taking the package to his residence.

After delivering the package, detectives served a search warrant on the apartment and discovered additional drugs in the suspect’s residence, including over 100 more ecstasy pills and 90 Xanax pills, which the Riverside Police Department estimates at a combined $23,250 street value, including the original package of ecstasy pills.

The suspect was identified as 21-year-old Sung Hee Jeong from Tujunga, CA, who, according to UCR’s Vice Chancellor for Strategic Communications James Grant, has no ties to the UCR community.

According to Riverside Police Department Sergeant Andrew Misenheimer, the investigation was a weeklong effort, and represents the department’s efforts to “continuously look to stop illegal narcotics at the source.”  

Public records indicate that Jeong is currently out on $150,000 bail, with a scheduled appearance on April 8 at the Riverside Hall of Justice.