The UCR volleyball (9-8, 1-4) team picked up their first Big West Conference win of the season, 3-1, at home against Cal State Fullerton (4-14, 0-5).

The Titans took the back-and-forth first set of the match after seven lead changes. With the score tied for the final time at 21 all, Fullerton scored four of the final six points to take it 25-23. However, the Highlanders responded well by taking the second set in a landslide, 25-12. Set number three was more of the same, as UC Riverside rallied multiple times to finally close the set 25-15 with an ace from Nicole Rodriguez. The final set was certainly a nail-bitter, as the Highlanders actually fell behind 12-6. A six-point rally brought the Highlanders back into the set and they went on to tie it at 23. UCR took the next point on a block assist from Yuliya Ushakova and Brooke Callahan, while the final point came on a Fullerton error ending the match 3-1.

Sophomore outside hitter Mickayla Sherman finished the night with 25 kills, the most for a Highlander in a game since she recorded 26 in a match against UCSB in 2016. Kaiulani Ahuna recorded double-digit kills for the 10th time this season with a career-high 23, to go along with 10 digs for double-double number five on the year. Chelsea Doyle reached 2,456 career assists after tallying 60, a career-high.

The Highlanders take the court again Friday, Oct. 13 against UC Davis in the SRC at 7 p.m.