Archive/HIGHLANDER

The UC Riverside men’s golf team competed at the Anteater Invitational this past Tuesday afternoon where they finished the tourney in eighth place out of nine teams with a total score of 911. David Gazzolo paced the Highlander with with a total score of 219 placing him in a tie for 13th overall. The winner of the invitational was CSU Long Beach, who won the team title with an impressive score of 862. In second and third place were St. John’s (870) and CSU San Jose (874) respectively. CSU Long Beach’s Kevin Lim was the individual victor as he had a score of 212 after three rounds of play.

In the first day of play, the Highlanders were tied for the eighth position after two rounds of play with a total score of 613. The team had a good start in the first round, firing a 299 but had a less successful second round, shooting 314. David Gazzolo paced the team, having performed consistently scoring 73 in each of the first two rounds. Gazzolo finished day one with a total score  four-over-par 146, which placed him in a tie for 14th place.

In day two of the tourney, the Highlanders improved from their second round play by 16 strokes, scoring a total of 298. Gazzolo shot a score of 73 again in the third round, finishing the tourney with a total score of 219, placing him in 13th place. Matt Fitzgerald (73-82-72) shot a total score of 227 finishing 28th overall. Ryan Smith (73-77-76) had a strong outing, scoring 226 in the tourney and placing him in a tie for the 26th spot. Jason Semthiti (80-82-77) finished in the 46th spot with a score of 239. BJ Doucett  (81-82-89) rounded out the team scoring 252, finishing 50th overall.

The Highlanders will face off in their final tournament of the season at the Big West Conference Championships from April 29-May 1 at the La Quinta Resort in La Quinta, CA.