Finding a job is certainly not the easiest of tasks. First, you spend countless hours polishing your application, and then you spend more hours contemplating and worrying about the interview. After the interview, you begin stressing about your word choice and if your answers were “right.” So here’s some advice on how to tackle the job hunt and get that job you want.

Commonly, full-time students pursuing a part-time job will take any job that is offered to them. However, pouncing at any job available has its own consequences. As a former tutor in high school, I had to deal with ill-mannered kids and a mean boss simply because I wanted money. After a few months of working, I quit because the stress was too much. Therefore, it is important to pursue an occupation that is not only worth your time, but also has a suitable working environment.

Furthermore, it is important to look for a job that you’re passionate about. There are many resources such as the Career Center and the ARC that can help you find jobs. Personally, I love teaching others and helping them succeed in whatever field they are pursuing. As a result, I became a supplemental instructor because I could mentor students and help them succeed in their respective classes. It was one of the best decisions in my life because I found a job that I enjoyed. Moreover, I was never really “working” because, in all honesty, teaching others was fun and exciting.

One of the most important parts of job-seeking is the interview. Don’t be like me, and half-ass the questions by coming up with vague and unrelated answers. Instead, prepare for the interview beforehand by researching the job via their websites and make sure to wear formal clothing such as a dress shirt and slacks. Dressing up and having prepared questions gives the interviewer a good impression that you really want the job. Interviewers love to ask questions such as “Why do you want this job?” or “Tell me about yourself.” These questions are your opportunities to sell yourself to the interviewer and tell them how you would make their lives easier — because honestly, that’s what employers love.

Overall, don’t be too stressed out about job-seeking. Find a job that you are passionate about in a positive working environment. Furthermore, dress your best and beware of tricky interpersonal interview questions. For example, questions that I got caught up on before were “What makes you different from others?” or “Describe an experience that demonstrates your leadership.” Therefore, I suggest doing practice interviews with your friends and seeing if your answers comes out “half-assed.”

Finally, if you don’t get the job, move on. Rejection is an unfortunate inevitability, but you can take the process as a learning experience. And if you end up getting the job, congratulations!