Jonathan Godoy/HIGHLANDER

May 1, 2012
Rebels 10 – Highlanders 1

The Riverside baseball team traveled to Las Vegas last Tuesday to play against the UNLV Rebels for a two game series.Riverside was unable to bounce back once the Rebels scored seven runs in the fifth inning en route to 1-10 loss.

UCR started off the series on rocky shoes, losing the first battle but left on a good note as they achieved more hits than strikeouts (9-6). However, Riverside could not execute as they left a total of nine runners on base.

Dylan Stuart (4-6) started the mound for the Highlanders as he only went 4.2 innings. Stuart allowed seven runs on six hits, walked two batters and struck out five. Antonio Gonzalez was one of three relievers who came in. Gonzales had a hard time as he allowed three runs on two hits and walked one.

In the fourth inning, Riverside finally put a dent into the Rebel’s lead. Clayton Prestridge started the inning off with a double to right center. Phil Holinsworth next stepped up to the plate and also double to center field. Kyle Boudreau grounded out to second but scored Prestridge for the only Highlander run.

Some key players for the Highlanders were Holinsworth who went 3-4, Prestridge 2-3 with the run, and Boudreau who went 1-4 with the only RBI.

May 2, 2012
Highlanders 5 – Rebels 2

The UC Riverside baseball team finished their long road trip this past Wednesday. They bounced back in a fashionable statement, striking out seven times but snagging 12 hits and scoring five runs en route to a 5-2 victory.

Mitch Patito (3-3) started the mound and went seven innings as he allowed five hits, no runs and walked three batters while striking out six.

The Highlander offense was clicking on all cylinders as they scored two runs in the fourth inning to put them up 4-0. The Highlanders scored once more for a 5-0 lead in the seventh inning.

The fourth inning started with a Drake Zarate walk and then Joe Chavez singled through the left side. Both advanced to their respective bases after a wild pitch and when Cody Hough singled toward the right field, scoring Zarate for an RBI. Eddie Young would also single, bringing in the fifth Highlander run.

May 4, 2012
Matadors 8 – Highlanders 7 (10)

The UC Riverside baseball team returned from an extended road trip and hosted their opponent Cal State Northridge on May 4. It looked like it was going to be a battle between the two teams until Northridge took a three run lead. UCR rallied with a three run inning in the ninth to take it into extra innings but couldn’t hang on en route to a 7-8 loss.

Eddie Orozco started the mound and went five innings. Orozco allowed five runs on seven hits and walked three batters, but was able to strike out 10 batters in the process.

The Highlanders had a big first inning when Eddie Young singled through the left side. Vince Gonzalez singled through the left and Clayton Prestridge stepped up for a double, scoring two runs. David Andriese walked in the inning and later scored the third Highlander run off an error.

The Highlanders only mustered one more run in the sixth inning before they turned on their bats in the ninth for a comeback. Alex Rubanowitz started it with a double to right and Devon Bolasky singled to center field. Phil Holinsworth singled to the pitcher for an RBI and Gonzalez doubled to right for two RBIs to tie the game.

In the extra innings the Highlanders were unable to win as Northridge took a one run lead in the tenth inning and could not rally again.

May 5, 2012
Matadors 7 – Highlanders 3

In the second game of the three game series, the Highlanders again could not shut down the offensive bats of CSU Northridge giving up three runs early, as the Highlanders lost 3-7 Saturday evening at home. Highlander starting pitcher Trevor Frank (1-6) struggled afterward, allowing 11 hits. CSU Northridge starter Jerry Keel (5-1) gave up seven hits.

In the second inning, Matador Miles Williams took a pitch deep from Frank to center field, hitting a solo home run. With two outs in the inning, an error by third baseman Vince Gonzalez allowed Matador Tommy Simis to get into scoring position. Kyle Attl would then hit a double down the left field line scoring Simis, making it a 0-2 Matador lead. The next batter Ryan Raslowsky hit a single straight up the middle, scoring another run to make the game 0-3.

The Highlanders responded in the bottom of the second, scoring a single run. Leading off, Kevin Davidson got onto first base with a single down the right field line. The next batter, Clayton Prestridge hit a triple, scoring Davidson from first base. Northridge pitcher Keel got out the inning, allowing only a single run.

The Highlanders cut the Matador lead again by one run in the fifth inning thanks to a Gonzalez RBI double.

The Matadors continued to have their way when they added three more runs in the last two innings of the game to make the score 2-7.

The Highlanders headed into the bottom of the ninth inning, down by five. They tried to rally as they loaded the bases with just one out. Gonzalez hit a grounder and brought in one run, but the next batter, Davidson, flew out to end game.

May 6, 2012
Highlanders 3 – Matadors 1

The UC Riverside baseball team managed to avoid extending their five game conference losing streak with a 3-1 victory over CSU Northridge. The Highlanders had Dylan Stuart (5-6) on the mound and he gave up only four hits. The Matadors starter Vincent Roberts (0-8) went three innings, giving up two runs on four hits.

The Matadors were the first team to strike first as they scored in the first inning thanks to a costly error by shortstop Eddie Young, allowing Matador Adam Barry to reach first base. Barry would score when Miles Williams hit a double down the gap between center and right.

The Highlanders responded in the second inning, scoring two runs to take the lead. A leadoff single by Clayton Prestridge started things off.  Prestridge scored once Kyle Boudreau hit a double down right center, tying the game at 1-1. A walk drawn by Drake Zarate resulted in two runners on base. Boudreau and Zarate moved to second and third base, thanks to Alex Rubanowitz hitting a sacrifice fly. Young would make up for his error in the first inning when he hit a sacrifice fly to center field, scoring one run and giving the Highlanders 2-1 lead.

The Highlanders scored an insurance run in the sixth inning thanks to an RBI single by Zarate.

In the ninth inning, the Highlanders gave the ball to closer Ben Doucette. Doucette was able to retire the side, giving the Highlanders a 3-1 win.

The UCR baseball team will next host Loyola Marymount at home on May 9 for a single non-conference game, and will then hit the road to take on the Pacific Tigers in a three game series starting May 11.