The Los Angeles Dodgers’ Cody Bellinger has been a hot topic this season. His fast and unbelievable start has already placed him at the forefront of the Most Valuable Player race this early in the season. Last season’s MVP Christian Yelich of the Milwaukee Brewers has a lot of pressure to defend his MVP trophy, especially against Bellinger, as he has excelled this season.

During his sophomore campaign Bellinger swung at almost everything that crossed the plate. Bellinger finished the season with a .260 batting average, 25 home runs and only 76 runs batted in. This was a considerable drop-off from his rookie season, which was a record-breaking season for him that ended with 97 runs batted in, and a National League rookie record of 39 home runs.

With two years of experience in the majors, Bellinger has once again upped his game. As of Wednesday, May 22, Bellinger was ranked first or second in the three most important offensive categories: first in runs batted in with 44, second in home runs with 17 and a league-best .404 batting average that is only two points off of Ted Williams’ single-season record .406 batting average.

Like Christian Yelich did last season, Bellinger will make every plate appearance a memorable one as he attempts to win this year’s triple crown. However, if he is unable to win the triple crown, it still is plausible for him to finish with a batting average over .400. Just like Russell Westbrook did during his triple double season, Bellinger’s run for MVP and for a .400 batting average will generate a new level of excitement for baseball, an issue for MLB has been dealing with over the last few years.