The eighth ASUCR Senate meeting of the quarter started at 6:37 p.m. on May 22.

Elections Director Laura Pullen submitted new revisions for the chapter seven bylaw regarding the elections code. Pullen’s motive for revision of the election code is to make the election process more efficient. Filing for candidacy will be condensed into one Google Form submission instead of a packet of papers. According to Pullen, this will be more efficient because a candidate’s information can be submitted all at once.

Another change to the election code regards posters. Any item on a wall will be classified as a poster including stickers. Pullen also added an amendment on funding from organizations. The elections director noted that fundraising from organizations supported by student fees will not be allowed during the election.

Chapter 11 of the ASUCR bylaws outlines the duties of the vice president of internal affairs. Jose Cortez-Hernandez, the current vice president of internal affairs, revised certain aspects of chapter 11. Cortez-Hernandez added responsibilities for the academic affairs committee during midterms was one of the revisions. He stated, “The academic affairs committee would go through the libraries during weeks four through six and hand out test materials to the students. This way, academic affairs can be busy during the middle of the quarter, not just the final weeks of the quarter,” stated Cortez-Hernandez.

Revisions to chapter seven and chapter eleven could not be approved by the senate because they did not meet quorum. The meeting concluded with several announcements. A mental health event will be taking place on UCR’s campus. CHASS Senator Chelsea Davenport mentioned the Mental Health Faire on June 5 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm in HUB 302. Davenport told senators at the meeting: “If you have extra money in your senator accounts and you would like to put it towards the mental health faire, we would desperately appreciate that.”

No public comments were made during this meeting. ASUCR bylaws can be found on the ASUCR website. The meeting adjourned at 7:11 p.m.