mike_color-224x3003Rio-Side

Given the fact that this will be the final season Ray Lewis will play in the NFL, it’s easy to understand why so many are rooting for the Baltimore Ravens to pull off an upset in this year’s Super Bowl.

As engrossing as that storyline would be, I’m here to tell you that’s not likely to happen. The 2013 Super Bowl will be won decisively by the San Francisco 49ers.

A great factor in this year’s match will be the hunger to win it all. Both teams know a little something about playing with added motivation as both are playing to redeem themselves. Last year the 49ers lost in a heartbreaking play that resulted in a fumble for San Francisco. The Ravens had a similar experience when they lost to the Patriots after missing a touchdown and a field goal.

Both teams are just a game away from truly redeeming themselves as they have both earned the two final spots in the Super Bowl. But the 49ers seem to want it more. After all, when you look how impressive the last two seasons were, you’ll realize that a victory is the only option. This was the team that was supposed to win it last year and is supposed to win it this year. Coming up short after two straight seasons on 11 or more wins is not an option for the 49ers.

Also, statistically speaking, it’s the 49ers all the way. In terms of offense, the Niners’ Kaepernick has a strong passer rating of 98.3 while the team is ranked fourth in rushing yards. They can score. In terms of defense, they allowed an average of just 94 rushing yards per game and 213.7 passing yards per game. Both statistics are ranked fourth and sixth, respectively.

As for the Ravens, they can defend without question. The problem is that they lack stable offensive execution. Baltimore is ranked 16th in total yards and also ranked 15th in passing yards. They can’t really score. They have too big of an Achilles heel to realistically win.

The 2012-13 season will be remembered as the season the 49ers became relevant again, it will be remembered as the season an inexperienced quarterback led a team to the promised land and it will be remembered as the year San Francisco won its sixth Lombardi Trophy.