Photo courtesy of Vogue/Oscar de la Renta

Simplicity has made a comeback in a big way this runway season. Fashion is bringing it back to basics in 2013, with the monochrome pair that started it all. From Oscar de la Renta to Marc Jacobs and Andrea Pompilio, black and white pairings were found all over the runway for the Spring and Summer fashion seasons.

Since both black and white are so universally flattering on any body shape or skin tone, this recent trend can be achieved by anyone. The intense contrast between the two make for a perfect head turner in whatever way you choose to wear it. There is no need to worry about mismatching colors; with black and white, anything goes. Seems like Cruella de Vil knew a thing or two we didn’t.

There are multiple ways to achieve this fashionable trend simply by using the pieces already available in your closet. You can go the simple route with a head-to-toe black or white ensemble, or try a more daring approach with a hint of color. Emerald greens and navy blues are big must-haves this year.

Photo courtesy of Vogue/Andrea Pompilio
Photo courtesy of Vogue/Andrea Pompilio

Guys: Black pants with a plain white top and white blazer will keep you looking sharp. You can also try a white outerwear piece with an all black ensemble (or vice versa). For a more colorful approach, wear a black sweater and a colorful button up underneath with the collar peeping through to draw attention your way.

Photo courtesy of Vogue/Marc Jacobs
Photo courtesy of Vogue/Marc Jacobs

Ladies: There is nothing stronger than a woman in an all white or black menswear-inspired suit. Add some yellow or green strappy stilettos to your cropped pant bottoms for the perfect surprise. Feel free to ditch the suit ensemble and rock an above-the-knee flared skirt to achieve the same colorful effect.