When I first heard about a cookie cafe nearby campus, I was ecstatic to try it and to help support small businesses. Especially during the global pandemic, I have tried my best at making sure I am buying from small businesses as much as possible. Recently, I have been craving sweets, so what better way is there to satisfy that craving than by going to Tin Lizzy’s Cookie Cafe located at 1485 Spruce St. Suite O. 

As soon as I walked in, I noticed how small and quaint the cafe was. The best I could do to socially distance inside this tiny place was to stand as close to the cash register as possible, especially since four elderly ladies were sitting down without face masks and eating. I felt a little claustrophobic. While I debated leaving the establishment entirely to avoid being in an enclosed space, the lady working there was ready to take my order. 

I took a look at their menu and chose a whole sandwich with a cookie for $8.15. The cool thing about ordering at this cafe is that you can add anything to your sandwich. I settled upon a ham, turkey and roast beef sandwich with provolone. For my veggies, I chose to add lettuce, onions and pickles. To be honest, this was a sandwich I could easily make at home. However, the cookies at this cafe definitely made this experience semi-worth it.

I chose an M&M’s chocolate chip cookie to accompany my sandwich and ordered another three on the side for $1.30 each. I wanted to get a feeling for their cookies and decided upon a snickerdoodle, chocolate chip and a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie. All cookies were soft and delicious, and if I were to come here again (probably when there’s not a global pandemic still raging on), I would come here solely for the cookies. 

Since it was also a cafe, I was interested in what beverages they had. On their menu, they had a variety of coffee drinks and teas, such as blended coffees, iced coffees, espressos, hot chocolate and chai teas. I decided upon a salted caramel iced coffee for $3.34. 

Once I ordered, I eagerly waited for my food so I could run out of there and go back home. Interestingly enough, I spotted a “Recall Gavin Newsom” petition in the corner, and, suddenly, the indoor dining and close proximity to others in this tiny cafe made sense. Once I saw that, I backed up, got my food and left. I was honestly baffled at the fact that older ladies were the ones dining. To each their own, I suppose, but I was not about that life. 

Once I made it home, I washed and sanitized my hands and proceeded to eat my meal. The sandwich was stuffed with the lunch meats I ordered, and after three or four bites, I was full. I ate my M&M’s cookie and decided not to go back there, regardless of how nice the workers were. All in all, I understand the convenience of buying sandwiches, but not when there’s possible health risks and especially when you can make your own at home for less money. The cookies were good but, again, not worth it in my opinion. The iced coffee I bought was probably my favorite item I had bought, but not enough to make this trip salvageable. 

Overall, I would give this cookie cafe a 3/10. You can easily make their menu items at home, buy cookies from another local cookie shop or even make them yourself.