As the days get shorter and the weather gets colder, the urge to roll yourself in a blanket while cuddling with a good book and having your main character moment slowly kicks in. Here are a few winter reads sure to keep you warm! 

“Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban” by J.K. Rowling 

“The Prisoner of Azkaban” is the third in the “Harry Potter” series. Now, if you have had the misfortune of never reading this series, don’t start with this book. “The Prisoner of Azkaban” is the perfect winter vibe for those looking to revisit the magic. With Harry afraid for his life as his “villainous” godfather allegedly seeks to complete The Dark Lord’s mission of ending Harry’s life, the novel perfectly encapsulates a creepy and haunted winter feeling. 

“The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe” by C.S. Lewis 

“The Chronicles of Narnia” is quite a classic series, one that many read and revisit over and over again. This timeless novel follows four siblings embarking on a journey to the mystical city of Narnia, which they found in the back of a wardrobe during an intense game of hide-and-seek. The children embark on a magical journey to attempt to end the “always winter never Christmas” curse cast on Narnia. 

“Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen 

Jane Austin’s 1813 “Pride and Prejudice” is one of the most iconic romance novels of all time. The novel follows Elizabeth Bennet, the second eldest daughter of the Longbourn estate, as she is pushed into finding love for the sake of economic security. Mr. Darcy, her most fervent suitor, spends the bulk of the novel attempting to win over her love. This novel is the perfect classic to keep you warm in the winter.     

“Little Women” by Louisa May Alcott 

This iconic coming-of-age novel follows the March sisters, each more different than the other. Meg, the eldest, follows a traditional path for women of her time, embodying a nearly perfect “little woman.” Jo, the novel’s primary focus, is a more “boyish” and rebellious child who wishes to work as a writer. Beth is described as the sweetest and kindest of the four sisters with extreme musical talent. Finally, the youngest, Amy, is a beautiful artist who always carries herself like a respectable young woman.  

“The Shining” by Stephen King 

Stephen King’s 1977 “The Shining” is one of the best-known horror novels and movies. Jack Torrance, a recovering alcoholic and struggling writer, and his family are set to be caretakers of the Overlook Hotel during the winter months. Located high in the Rocky Mountains, the hotel has quite the haunted past, with the previous caretaker succumbing to cabin fever and murdering his entire family. This psychological thriller will have you in continued suspense.