As a vegetarian student who lives on campus in a dorm room, the struggle of what to have for dinner can often preoccupy one’s mind. Although Glasgow does a better job than most of the on-campus restaurants in providing dietary-friendly meal options, it is really easy to get sick of vegan grilled cheese sandwiches and the salad bar. Here are a few dorm-friendly vegetarian recipes you should try out the next time you do not feel like indulging in vegan cheese pizza. 

We start our day with some MICROWAVABLE FRENCH TOAST consisting of: 

2 slices of cinnamon raisin bread

1 beaten egg, or the equivalent egg substitute

1 tablespoon of oat milk, or any milk of your choice

Cinnamon to your heart’s content 

¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract

½ a handful of raisins 

maple syrup 

Start off by chopping, or ripping for those without a knife, the bread into cubes. Add the cubes into any microwavable container you have on hand, preferably a mug, and mix in the egg, milk, cinnamon, vanilla and raisins. Allow the bread to soak up all the flavor, then radiate your mug, or container, for 2-3 minutes. Finally, top the “french toast” off with some maple syrup and cinnamon, and enjoy! 

We now move to lunch, where the chef is serving a CHICKPEA AND KALE “WRAP.” I put “wrap” in quotes because when I made this yesterday, I just rolled out a piece of toast with my water bottle and called it a wrap. For this recipe, you will need: 

2 slices of toast, or a single wrap 

½ a can of chickpeas, and your roommate’s can opener 

A handful of kale 

A handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half 

The juice of ½ a lemon

1 teaspoon of olive oil

A pinch of salt, pepper, lemon pepper and whatever other seasonings your heart desires 

Start off by rolling the toast out with any clean circular object you have on hand. Then using your contraband toaster, warm up the bread; this step is optional if you don’t possess a contraband toaster. Mix the kale, lemon juice, olive oil and seasonings in a bowl. Then, add the chickpeas and cherry tomatoes to complete the rap filling. Here, you could add any spread your heart desires or leave the toast barren. Add the filling into your toast/wrap. Finally, roll your “wrap” up, and enjoy.

Dinner time! We are making TACOS. This time, I promise this recipe will not exploit toast. Instead, we will be using: 

4 tortillas or hard taco shells 

1 can of corn and your roommate’s can opener 

1 can of black beans

1 avocado, sliced 

1 handful of cherry tomatoes, quartered 

1 lime 

A pinch of parsley flakes, cumin, salt and pepper 

Your favorite spicy sauce for flavor 

This recipe is pretty self-explanatory; just assemble your tacos. However, I would suggest starting by combining your black beans with all the seasoning and placing those at the base of the taco. Follow the beans with the cherry tomatoes, corn, avocado and, finally, top the tacos off with lime juice and some spicy sauce. 

And with that, our trip through flavor town comes to an end. Don’t forget to grab some ice cream for dessert. I hope these recipes inspire you to get cooking, even without a stove.