Summer is just around the corner, and many of us are wondering what to do during our three-month long break. However, earning an internship can help decrease your boredom and increase your experience in the working world. Whether you’re a first year or a fourth year, earning a summer internship or two can help increase your ability to land a job fresh out of college! Here are a few tips on how to land that internship you’ve been eyeing.

Update your resume

Having a clean and simple resume can look professional when trying to land a big corporation job. By having a few important and detailed information about yourself, employers will have a better idea of you as an employee! Some of the main things needed in a resume are: name, address, contact information, experience(s), skills, education and certifications. If you don’t have any experience in the internship you’re applying for, don’t stress! Employers acknowledge that we are all college students trying to earn experience for the working world. Prove to your employers that you are interested and willing to learn the materials needed!

Practice interviews

Interviews can be challenging and terrifying for many of us, especially if we don’t have any experience in interviewing for jobs. However, practice makes perfect! Some of the main questions employers will ask are: Why do you want this job? What are your strengths and weaknesses? What makes you stand out from the other applicants? What do you know about our company? Grab a friend or family member and have them practice with you! These questions may seem simple but can be difficult and time consuming to answer. Many of us may not know the answer to these questions. However, practicing with other people will allow you to critique and modify your answers ahead of time!

Dress up in business attire

Many professional jobs and internships require you to dress professionally when working in the corporation. Instead of dressing up in casual jeans and a shirt, showing up to your interview in business attire will show employers that you are interested in the position you are applying for. If you don’t have a basic suit or a blouse, don’t panic! Some stores that sell professional attire are Macy’s, Nordstrom, Banana Republic and Express. If you are on a budget, H&M, Target, Ross and Old Navy have plenty of options for you to choose from!