Egg Salad - Courtesy of Pexels
Egg Salad – Courtesy of Pexels

Looking for a simple way to remind yourself of mom’s cooking? Try making this traditional Indian meal, a recipe that is both easy to make and delicious. Head to your local Indian grocery store and get cooking.  

Start to finish: 40 minutes 

Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

4 eggs

1 onion 

3 roma tomatoes

½ tablespoon of mustard seeds

A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing) 

½ teaspoon turmeric powder

¾ teaspoon red chili powder

½ teaspoon of Garam Masala 

½ bowl of cilantro

3 tablespoons of vegetable oil

½ teaspoon of salt

Heat your pan on medium or high on the stove. Dice tomatoes, onions, cilantro and keep the spices near you. Make sure the pan is hot enough, and add oil to it. Add in 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds and diced onions, and spread until it appears more transparent and clear. 

Once transparent, shake the bottle of Asafoetida (Hing) 3 to 4 times before adding a pinch of it in. Move and saute the onions around in the pan. 

Put in 3/4 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of paprika if available. Stir and saute further, and mix in the roma tomatoes, 1/2 a bowl of cilantro and a 1/2 teaspoon of Garam Masala. 

Stir and saute further. Then place the pan’s lid on and let it sizzle. Add ½ teaspoon of salt and mix, and then taste it to make sure it’s relatively salty. You want to make sure that it’s not too salty, if it’s not salty enough you can always add more. 

Break 4 eggs onto the top of the mixture and replace the lid. Store on medium heat. In 2 to 3 minutes, lift the lid and stir until it appears fully mixed. Then let the pan rest and simmer for a few minutes. You’ve successfully made an egg salad! Serve and enjoy hot!