On Sept. 29, Highlanders received an email from Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor Elizabeth Watkins that provided an update on the administration and the issues they hope to tackle in the year. As explained by the Provost, the campus leadership engaged in a day-long on-site retreat where the provost and chancellor’s cabinet as well as the academic senate and staff assembly. 

One of the primary goals of the administration for not only the fall quarter but also the year would be to tackle the issue of quarter credit enrollment. A concerning trend was highlighted where students over time were taking fewer units each quarter with the current average being around 14.02 units. The regular load is around 15 credits per term.

The Provost and administration emphasized the importance of this issue and explained, “It matters because low credit loads mean longer time to degree for our students, which will cost them more money.  also delays their entry into the workforce or graduate school. Empirical research shows that students who take a full course load thrive on academic momentum and do not experience a drop in their GPA, even if they are also working and/or taking care of family members.”

Strategies were discussed during the retreat to address this issue and tackle the barriers that may prevent students from taking a full course load and ultimately improve undergraduate student success.

This would also contribute to building financial stability as the provost noted how state funding, which accounts for 45% of the core budget, would be allocated based on student full-time equivalents (FTE). “UCOP multiplies our total number of students (headcount) by our average credit load and then divides by 45 to arrive at our total student FTE. With the drop in credit load, we stand to lose almost $6M, which would wipe out half of the increase we received this year.”   

New student recruitment was another focal point discussed during the retreat, with an emphasis on out-of-state enrollment. “We have the opportunity to expand the geographic diversity of our ethnically and racially diverse student body,” explained Watkins in the email. The administration plans on better managing and marketing the school and its majors, especially to high school and community college students from local Inland Empire districts.

Enrollment growth is a major point of controversy based on President Drake’s announcement to enroll 23,000 more students over the next 8 years, to total 33,000 more by 2030. Much scrutiny has risen over the consequences of increased enrollment including the traffic and housing issues. 

The retreat concluded with their final discussion of the progress made on numerous priorities that were identified the previous year. This includes nonresident undergraduate enrollment which increased 36% from 2021 to 2022. Summer session enrollment did not increase but was still 23% higher than it was pre-pandemic in 2019. Extramural research funding increased 20% from 2021 to 2022. Total Facilities and Administrative Costs (F&A), or indirect cost recovery from grants, received by the university increased almost 10% from 2021 to 2022. Staff headcount increased 4.5% from 2021 to 2022, and units have current recruitment plans to add another 3.5% this year.

The Provost office hours have restarted after the summer hiatus and you can meet with her to learn more and have your thoughts heard about UCR.